More > JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows

JRVR Video Renderer

<< < (8/45) > >>

mattkhan:
I set it to dci-p3 which the PJ expects, any other value looks really odd so I am pretty sure it's not a gamut mapping problem. It doesn't necessarily look bad unless it's skin tones, just obviously much more intense. I will play around with settings a bit and do some more comparisons

jmone:
Nice changes in the 31.0.1 and 31.0.2.

--- Quote ---5. NEW: Support for HDR to HDR tone mapping in JRVR.
7. NEW: HDR10+ dynamic tone mapping in JRVR.
--- End quote ---

HDR to HDR tone mapping is great!.  Early days, as I need to test on the TV and PJ, but it is looking good on my HDR1000 monitor with high nit content (eg looks better than what the screens Tone Mapping does).  How does the interplay between these two features work (I see if I also enable "HDR10+ dynamic tone mapping in JRVR" then in the JRVR Monitoring that there is then no mention of HDR to HDR tone mapping.

8. NEW: Image sharpening post-processing for JRVR.

I know someone who is going to like this when it becomes public :)

--- Quote ---6. NEW: JRVR uses a new dynamic tone mapping algorithm using a re-designed histogram peak detection, enabled by default in the "Quality" preset.
--- End quote ---

How do you read this?  I just see the attached static pic.

SamuriHL:
Very, very kuel!!! 

EOTF 2: SMPTE ST 2084 [PQ], MT: DCI-P3 [WO], WP: D65
GRN: 34000, 16000 [0.68, 0.32]
BLU: 13250, 34500 [0.265, 0.69]
RED: 7500, 3000 [0.15, 0.06]
WP: 15635, 16450, [0.3127, 0.329]
Max/Min Lum: 880 / 0.005 nits
MaxCLL/FALL: 699 / 0 nits

NICE :D  It looks REALLY good especially for the first version of it.  Well done!

Hendrik:

--- Quote from: jmone on April 19, 2023, 05:09:45 pm ---How does the interplay between these two features work (I see if I also enable "HDR10+ dynamic tone mapping in JRVR" then in the JRVR Monitoring that there is then no mention of HDR to HDR tone mapping.

--- End quote ---

HDR10+ is not a feature you can turn on or off. If the file has HDR10+ tone mapping data (which not all HDR10+ files do, some just have scene peak data, which then disables peak detection only), then those metadata defined tone mapping curves are used. The tone mapping algorithm should show up as st2094-40 in the OSD - but only if its actually doing something - eg. the scene brightness is above your desired peak, otherwise its not there at all.

Of course HDR10+ metadata is equally used when tone mapping to SDR.

--- Quote from: jmone on April 19, 2023, 05:09:45 pm ---How do you read this?  I just see the attached static pic.

--- End quote ---

Read what? The image shows the tone mapping/gamut mapping debug visualization.
The colored part is the gamut lobe, and the "graph" is the tone mapping.

Its more to help figure out what tone mapping is doing, not for users to gain information from. I can barely read it myself, but having it helps to show it to the people that do!

The text info OSD will contain a lot more information now about the tone mapping, including the measured brightness if dynamic peak detection is enabled (its not a separate bullet point, but should say something like "<algorithm> tone mapping (measured -> desired)". That should be more interesting for most people.

SamuriHL:
What happens when a video has both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision?  Does it just stick with the HDR10+ metadata to help with tone mapping and setting the tone curves?  Or does it somehow use both?  The reason I ask is I see both listed in the display when playing one so was unsure what, exactly it was doing.  Looks fantastic either way just more curious how it works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version