More > JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows

JRVR Video Renderer

<< < (9/45) > >>

Hendrik:

--- Quote from: SamuriHL on April 20, 2023, 09:45:32 am ---What happens when a video has both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision?  Does it just stick with the HDR10+ metadata to help with tone mapping and setting the tone curves?  Or does it somehow use both?  The reason I ask is I see both listed in the display when playing one so was unsure what, exactly it was doing.  Looks fantastic either way just more curious how it works.

--- End quote ---

If HDR10+ tone mapping curves are present, it'll use those. Thats not a features supported from Dolby metadata yet. Dynamic scene brightness is used from either HDR10+ or DV, hopefully they wouldn't vastly disagree what the brightness is.
Note that there is no commercial content that ever supports both. Self-made content with copied metadata from other sources ... well no guarantees if they don't match.

SamuriHL:

--- Quote from: Hendrik on April 20, 2023, 09:53:43 am ---If HDR10+ tone mapping curves are present, it'll use those. Thats not a features supported from Dolby metadata yet. Dynamic scene brightness is used from either HDR10+ or DV, hopefully they wouldn't vastly disagree what the brightness is.
Note that there is no commercial content that ever supports both. Self-made content with copied metadata from other sources ... well no guarantees if they don't match.

--- End quote ---

That is absolutely untrue I'm afraid.  There most DEFINITELY is commercial content that has both!  I know, I have a bunch.  Alien, Alita, etc etc.  Hence the question.  Whether they match, I couldn't tell you as I don't have HDR10+ support on my LG OLEDs.

EDIT:  This is from 1917, as an example:

Video
ID : 1
ID in the original source medium : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

Fun, right??  :D

jmone:
Hendrik, do you know if HDR10+ JSON Sidecar files are supported?

Hendrik:

--- Quote from: jmone on April 20, 2023, 06:10:02 pm ---Hendrik, do you know if HDR10+ JSON Sidecar files are supported?

--- End quote ---

They are not, and will not be. Metadata needs to be in the video. Metadata in extra files is a tool for authoring, not for playback.

jmone:
thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version