More > JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows

JRVR Video Renderer

<< < (10/45) > >>

tzr916:

--- Quote from: Hendrik on April 11, 2023, 03:28:20 am ---Video is a constantly evolving topic, and while JRVR has made tons of progress, there is always more work to do....

--- End quote ---
Most of this JRVR tonemapping talk goes over my head  ;D

Can I ask about a basic video playback feature that has been on my MC wish list for years - I predominantly use MC to watch Tv and movies in theater view with an IR MCE remote control and bitstream the audio. Is there any way you can put video playback slow motion controls into the theater view OSD (similar to Subtitles/LipSync/Zoom). And more importantly, prevent the "DSP Tempo dialog" from popping up when slow motion is enabled, preferably add an option to just mute the audio when video slow motion is used.

Thanks

JimH:
Split Displaycal discussion.

bogdanbz:
Many thanks for this listing!

Regarding Windows color profiles and gamut mapping in JRVR, please note that Windows is switching from a passive attitude to system color correction (where the applications are responsible for performing the color conversions according to the display characteristics specified in ICC profiles associated with the display) to an active role where Windows performs automatic color correction at system level in an individual manner for each connected display (Advanced Color). This is done by performing de-gamma, color space conversion and re-gamma in the graphic card, using hardware blocks as described here.

This was already the case for Windows HDR mode since some Windows 10 build, but it's going to be enabled for SDR as well in Windows 11.

The display ICC profiles can now feature Microsoft proprietary tags to list display characteristics just for HDR mode, such as display min/max luminance or frame average luminance, as well as color primaries or white point. This can override EDID or DisplayID data that was used before for HDR presentation.

Details and links to other articles that go into more detail are here: Use DirectX with Advanced Color on high/standard dynamic range displays.

Please also note that using SetHDRMetadata on the swap chain is no longer guaranteed to send metadata to the display, as Microsoft warns about it themselves. I warned about this before, but I did not have a link to an official Microsoft statement to bring proof about this, and I was told the device you use shows the display is still sent the metdadata you specify on the swap-chain.

bogdanbz:
Since I notice there is HDR10+ support coming, may I request looking into whether HDR10+ passthrough can be implemented. HDR10+ Gaming support was recently enabled in the Nvidia drivers (r526.98), and some games, such as the latest Need for Speed from Electronic Arts I think, can already output HDR10+ to compatible displays. It might only work when switching to HDR is done through the NVAPI though, I have not looked into it.

Hendrik:

--- Quote from: bogdanbz on April 25, 2023, 10:35:43 am ---Since I notice there is HDR10+ support coming, may I request looking into whether HDR10+ passthrough can be implemented. HDR10+ Gaming support was recently enabled in the Nvidia drivers (r526.98), and some games, such as the latest Need for Speed from Electronic Arts I think, can already output HDR10+ to compatible displays. It might only work when switching to HDR is done through the NVAPI though, I have not looked into it.

--- End quote ---

"HDR10+ Gaming" uses "Source Side Tone Mapping" based on dynamic scene data - this is practically the same as using the new HDR to HDR tone mapping mode in JRVR. Actual metadata passthrough to enable "Sink Side Tone Mapping" is not supported in any (public) API, neither from Microsoft or NVIDIA. Not that anyone I have ever spoken to could find. MS has a stub of an API with no documentation that just takes a binary blob, and according to MS engineers its not implemented at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version