INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob Question about Video Sorting  (Read 421 times)

cdf294

• Recent member
Noob Question about Video Sorting
« on: April 13, 2023, 03:01:41 pm »

Before I start, I did look at the FAQ's and also searched the forum but didn't find what I was looking for and received too many irrelevant hits during the search to find it. If there is in fact a link that I missed in the FAQ's or somewhere in the forum, could someone kindly post it please?

Here is what I am attempting to accomplish: I am trying to take movies with multiple sequels, take Fast & Furious or Tremors as examples, and organize the sequels in a chronological order in the library. I was using Plex and have been using the similar program known as Emby as of late. I am hoping to replace Emby with JRiver MC30 but have been unable to find a link to tell me how to accomplish what I am trying to do. I have attached a picture of how to make this happen in Emby (same with Plex) but I have been through multiple settings and the tagging info in MC30 and see no place to accomplish this seemingly simple task. I know I have to be overlooking something obvious at this point. Maybe I am simply seeing so many options that I can't see the forest through the trees. Would someone please take pity on me and point me in the correct direction to accomplish this goal? Thank you.

cdf294

• Recent member
Re: Noob Question about Video Sorting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 05:02:27 pm »

Please ignore this request everyone.

I just found 2 threads from 2012 and 2014 explaining the process to do something like I am asking about (more or less). After reading both of those old threads, I won't be wasting the time to deal with this.

Thanks.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 05:04:26 pm »

probably the easiest way would be to edit the name field.  As with Tremors:

Tremors 6 - Cold day in hell
Tremors 7 - Shreiker Island

If a view is sorted by name, the above should work.  If you would want to keep the original official title for some reason, you could create a new library field called "Sort Title" or whatever... and create a view that sorts on that.  You'd have to create a sort title for every movie you import, but I assume you have to also do that with Emby.   You'd only have to edit the names of movies with sequels to utilize the 1st method.

I was thinking there might be some expression that could group movies and their sequels by name... and then sort by date, however I'm not sure that would be possible.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 05:07:32 pm »

I just give them all the same Album value and sort them by Year. Job done.

cdf294

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 05:21:25 pm »

I just give them all the same Album value and sort them by Year. Job done.

Hey there.

I have been using JRiver for a grand total of 5 days now.
Could you please provide a little more clarity on your response? A link would be great if you don't want to explain it in more detail. Thanks.

cdf294

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 05:37:42 pm »

If a view is sorted by name, the above should work.  If you would want to keep the original official title for some reason, you could create a new library field called "Sort Title" or whatever... and create a view that sorts on that.  You'd have to create a sort title for every movie you import, but I assume you have to also do that with Emby.   You'd only have to edit the names of movies with sequels to utilize the 1st method.

I was thinking there might be some expression that could group movies and their sequels by name... and then sort by date, however I'm not sure that would be possible.

Thanks for responding.

Once everything is imported into Emby or Plex, I have the option to change the sort title as shown in the original post. If I am following what you are saying, yes, all sort titles are showing the original titles after importing and then I can change only the sort titles I want shown in the library in chronological order. Tremors, as it turns out, is actually in order as it is tagged. Something like Fast & Furious on the other hand is scattered randomly throughout the library although maybe 70% show up in the "F" files but grossly out of order.

If I edit the name field, does it only change the info for the MC library? As long as it doesn't change the server file info, that might be the best option. I assume that once i've tagged the files, it shouldn't change anything but the title in the MC30 program, correct? Any changes to the files on the server will be a major problem. Thanks.

cdf294

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 08:26:10 pm »

If a view is sorted by name, the above should work. 

I appreciate everyone who responded. I especially appreciate @badger for this suggestion since that is a simple solution to my problem. I tried this on my backup server so if something went south, the wife wouldn't make me miserable over it. Worst case scenario, I delete the file and wait for it to perform the next scheduled backup to replace the file but it appears that won't be necessary now. Thank you again everyone.

Pages: [1]   Go Up