More > JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows

Configuring playback to crop black bars for use with an anamorphic lens

<< < (2/2)

mattkhan:
more spelunking through search results....

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Video_Playback_Aspect_Ratio is not so helpful, probably needs some more content
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,89083.msg611804.html#msg611804 appears to be the way?

2nd param to 28022 appears to correspond to

0 & 8 = both appear to be no crop
1 = stretch
2 = crop
3-6 = preserve aspect ratio with crop black bars (1.78/1.85/2.35/2.4 respectively)

it seems that using that Options > Video > Advanced option without cropping produces black bars on the sides to go with the top, it would be interesting to know how this is processed. For example is it downscaled (to produce those black bars on the sides) and then scaled back up? could that info be added to the JRVR OSD?

mattkhan:

--- Quote from: Hendrik on April 24, 2023, 11:21:44 am ---Note that I'm likely to look at how all of these interact as I add support for automatic black bar cropping, and maybe move/duplicate some of it into JRVR profiles. I imagine the existing "aspect ratio override" option sees very little use, because its from a time when screens had non-square pixel, and the descriptions it uses still reflect that. Not many would ever get to the conclusion that it can be used for anamorphic lenses, although thats really quite the same thing as a display with non-square pixel.

--- End quote ---
yes I certainly look forward to that, all I'm trying to do atm is be able to easily replicate what madvr does automatically in order to be able to use jrvr rather than madvr day in day out as that seems to be the only way I'll be able to assess it. I think how to use with an a lens is the final thing for me to work out before I can do that (as well as run a new calibration in order to generate a 3d lut in cube format)

Hendrik:

--- Quote from: mattkhan on April 24, 2023, 02:32:31 pm ---it seems that using that Options > Video > Advanced option without cropping produces black bars on the sides to go with the top, it would be interesting to know how this is processed. For example is it downscaled (to produce those black bars on the sides) and then scaled back up? could that info be added to the JRVR OSD?

--- End quote ---

It just shrinks the rendering target window, or constrains it for cropping, which JRVR actually tells you about (sort of, its a bit hard to read). So it does not do any double scaling, it just acts as if you were rendering into a smaller window or with a smaller resolution. The OSD definitely tells you the rendering steps, there is nothing else ever going on.

I'll check out the difference in behavior between linux and windows tomorrow.

Hendrik:
The aspect ratio/crop behavior should be fixed on Linux and Mac in one of the upcoming MC31 builds.

mattkhan:
Great, thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version