INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v9 features required before final release  (Read 1141 times)

nila

v9 features required before final release
« on: February 24, 2003, 05:13:51 pm »

Hey :)

These are just a few features that I think are needed for v9 before release just to make it as big a hit as possible:

Needed
  • Ability to save and delete naming formats from: rename from properties, fill properties from filename
  • An option of what to do in 'rename from properties' if the field is empty for a file
  • Different view scheme's (you already said you planned to do this one  -just reminding you)
  • Ability to add new 'groups' to the properties window.
  • Either the 'Undo/Re-Do' options saying what the last tasks performed were or a 'history' pane added to the properties window that simply listed the last actions performed
    - Failing this, at the VERY minimum there needs to be an option to make MJ prompt to confirm for any tag modifications (do you wish to change the 'album, artist, genre' tag on the '50' selected files). Right now it's way way too easy to accidentally change a ton of tags on files and mess up hours of hard tagging work.
  • Key combinations to perform basic tasks (ctrl+r to rename from properties, ctrl+c to clean properties etc - obviously just make these not clash with existing combo's and then make sure they're listed in the menu's so we can easily see what they are).
  • Seperate icons in explorer at least for: video/audio/graphic/playlist - preferably also different descriptions
  • Dates need to be handled better and lastplayed etc need to be done so we can for do searches in things other than seconds as this gets very complex trying to work out how many seconds since 3 days ago etc.
  • Imported date seems to store the time in Unix timestamp of the exact second that album was imported and so there are TONS of different import dates simply because each album is getting added at slightly different seconds of the same import. This needs to be seriously improoved - preferably to a calendar (as used in AV2 for 'new') with the days that songs were imported on highlighted.

Would be VERY nice
  • Icons in the menu's to greatly improove useability and 'eye candy' value - mainly for useability.
  • GUI method for creating naming formats rather than typing it all
  • Better integration of tools - ie get properties from filename works great but being able to make it do an automatic clean after doing this would be soo much nicer and save so much extra unnecessary effort and clicking.
  • 'Find and Replace' extended to include: 'remove X characters from beginning/end of field.
  • Ability to change the ordering of fields in the 'properties' pane.
  • Load and Save for searches need to be implemented and should be moved to a top level item as should copy/cut and paste. - I personally think the 'Advanced' menu should be the main menu with add modifier and add limiter added to it. This might want to be put open to discussion to see what everyone else thinks.
  • additional option in the 'advanced' screen for encoding mp3's that lets you specify as well as high quality or high speed whether to use: joint stereo/stereo/mono channels.

There might be more, and some of these you might not consider that important but to me these are all pretty important features that really need to be looked at before v9 goes final. :)

Autoelph

Re: v9 features required before final release
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 05:34:12 pm »

Well, you sure are thorough! I have to say, after I had a good chuckle over the zealous post, these are all very good ideas. ;)

nila

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 06:08:18 pm »

Needed
  • Ability to set different view modes for the general library and for the 'playing now' window and have it remember it's settings seperately.
  • Conformity to other mainstream players with keyboard shortcuts : both WMP, The Playa and several other players use: Alt + 1 = 50%, Alt + 2 = 100%, Alt + 3 = 200% when viewing films - this is a great fast easy way to resize and as far as I'm aware, these key combinations aren't used else where so it wouldn't conflict at all. Ctrl + 1, Ctrl + 2, etc is also used for: Mega Me, Mini Me etc but MJ already uses these so I guess cant really conform with these.

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 06:16:22 pm »

Needed
  • Ability to set different view modes for the general library and for the 'playing now' window and have it remember it's settings seperately.

Oh. my sweet lord, yes. Yes yes yes yes yes.

...if it wouldn't be too much trouble...
Keeping the world safe for short SIGs

nila

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 02:25:54 pm »

Needed
  • Improvement of the 'filename' keyword and it's wizard.

Right now this just gives a list filled with all the filenames to select which ones to select.
    Although I'm sure some people use this and want to specifically select a few select songs, I'd imagine the majority of people would be far more likely to want to select specific directories.
    I know I do all the time to refine between compilations, albums etc and the wizard is NO help at all.
    I'd suggest that the wizard has a toggle mode to toggle between: 'File Mode' and 'Folder Mode'.

Unlogical
  • Burning CD's - This playlist is still wiped instantly after a CD is burnt, PLEASE give an option either to leave it there after a burn (possible with an auto confirmation box: 'Do you wish to clear this playlist: Yes/No') or with an option that can be set in the options screen.  An alternative option that would be really really nice but would require more work would be to have all cd's burnt saved into a 'Burnt CD's' playlist group with all cd's then saved in this group with the time of the burn or something as the name.

This one really does make no sense - All the other burning software: Nero, Adaptec, etc, ALL leave the playlist after you make a CD and if you dont want to keep it you just get rid of it. Further more, when you try to close the playlist they confirm that you dont want to save it. This seems like a logical way of setting it up. MJ on the other hand just instantly destroys the playlist with no option or way of saving it unless you remembered to do so before you burnt the CD.

• Cant see any option to include/not include the 2 second gap when burning CD's :(

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 02:31:21 pm »

Needed
  • Improvement of the 'filename' keyword and it's wizard.

Unlogical
  • Burning CD's - This playlist is still wiped instantly after a CD is burnt, PLEASE give an option either to leave it there after a burn (possible with an auto confirmation box: 'Do you wish to clear this playlist: Yes/No') or with an option that can be set in the options screen.  An alternative option that would be really really nice but would require more work would be to have all cd's burnt saved into a 'Burnt CD's' playlist group with all cd's then saved in this group with the time of the burn or something as the name.

This one really does make no sense - All the other burning software: Nero, Adaptec, etc, ALL leave the playlist after you make a CD and if you dont want to keep it you just get rid of it. Further more, when you try to close the playlist they confirm that you dont want to save it. This seems like a logical way of setting it up. MJ on the other hand just instantly destroys the playlist with no option or way of saving it unless you remembered to do so before you burnt the CD.

• Cant see any option to include/not include the 2 second gap when burning CD's :(

Nila it makes lots of sense.  For example - If you forget to print a CD Label before you burn, then all of what you have just burnt is lost.  If it is a random burn then you have no alternative to listen to it, manually pick the tracks again and use CD Labeller.

This feature alone would make my Wednesday.(For all of you USA citizens - yes its Wednesday here already!)

Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up