More > JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows

Please Correct Long-standing UI Anomaly

(1/2) > >>

HighConcept:
Even though I just play music, and haven't used "new features" for years, I dutifully upgrade hoping that a long-standing anomaly in the User Interface will get fixed that, as a heavy user and as a professional programmer, drives me nuts! It's in the "unexpected behavior/inconsistent treatment" category.

Since I don't know the formal terms for each of the areas of the UI, let me explain with a screen shot, attached. I'm a PC user.

If I right-click on the Album Cover at "A", I get a context menu that allows me to select "Play", and the entire album is loaded into the player. Nice.

If I right-click on the STACK of Album Covers at "B", I get a context menu that allows me to select "Play", and the entire set of albums in that stack is loaded into the player. Expected behavior.

However, If I right-click on the Album Cover at "C", down where all the tracks display for the album(s) I selected in the upper half, I again get a context menu that allows me to select "Play", but only the single track that happened to be directly to the right of my cursor when I was hovering over the Album Cover "C" -- in this case "One Less Bell to Answer", highlighted in light blue -- is loaded into the player.

This is unexpected behavior. I "learned" from above that right clicking on an album COVER (or stack) gives me the context for the entire album.  I would expect (and truly want) the same behavior for the cover icon to the left of each set of tracks.

I TRY to use this all the time, being forgetful.  I get in the mood for a particular artist or genre or some other set, and search for it. Then, I browse through the tracklist of the found album(s), decide which album I want to listen to, and right click the corresponding cover, only to be reminded (when only a single track plays) of this anomalous behavior.

As a programmer, I know exactly how to fix this, and of course, so do you. Consider it a "feature request" that I've been meaning to request for almost a decade! Thanks.

Matt:
C is a list of files.  The menu is going to act on the selected files.  That seems right to me.  How else would it work?

Matt:
Maybe you're hoping for the image to have a discrete menu?  It does not today.

Matt:
I've got an idea we can try in MC31.  We'll just make right-clicking the image select all the album's files.  Would that work for you?

Daniel Warner:
I like the idea of a 'Play Album' link/button in that list - Is that possible?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version