INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting multiple genres  (Read 352 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Selecting multiple genres
« on: April 29, 2023, 10:56:41 am »

Media Center support multiple genres when separated by a semi-colon. If I select more than one genre to be listed, it will list all tracks with either genre (i.e.,  ‘OR’ logic). Is there a way of selecting multiple genres that would logically ‘AND’ the selections? For example, to show only those tracks that had been designated with ‘folk’ AND ‘rock’, not ‘folk’ OR ‘rock’…
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Selecting multiple genres
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 12:11:15 pm »

Right click the view in question
Choose "Customise View"
Select "Genre" from the listed categories
Click the "Edit" button
Down the bottom, change "Matching" from "Match Any" to "Match All"
OK your way all the way out.

Better now?

shAf

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 01:08:34 pm »

Right click the view in question
Choose "Customise View"
Select "Genre" from the listed categories
Click the "Edit" button
Down the bottom, change "Matching" from "Match Any" to "Match All"
OK your way all the way out.

Thanks, Marko! Yes… that works. However, it’s a bit deep into the column’s definition to make it easy to do it often. For example, why not add the same logical possibility along with “customize view”? Still… for tracks that have classified with multiple genres, “match all” is probably what you want most of the time anyway….

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 01:38:22 pm »

Also note that tracks/albums assigned multiple genres will only match the first genre in the remote views. For example, if you tag an album as Classical and Piano Sonata it will show up in both genres in Media Center and MC clients, but it will not appear in the Piano Sonata genre in JRemote, MO4Media, or Gizmo.

shAf

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 01:57:56 pm »

Also note that tracks/albums assigned multiple genres will only match the first genre in the remote views. For example, if you tag an album as Classical and Piano Sonata it will show up in both genres in Media Center and MC clients, but it will not appear in the Piano Sonata genre in JRemote, MO4Media, or Gizmo.

Yes, I’ve noticed… but then I give the remote access methods, and apps, plenty of leeway as to what they’re intended to do relative to the versatility of the desktop app. For example, can you imagine what a programmer must be up against to allow you to physically choose multiple genres with a smartphone app?

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 02:13:07 pm »

Yes, I’ve noticed… but then I give the remote access methods, and apps, plenty of leeway as to what they’re intended to do relative to the versatility of the desktop app. For example, can you imagine what a programmer must be up against to allow you to physically choose multiple genres with a smartphone app?

Since all the apps have the same issue, and they're done by different developers, I've assumed the problem is that the apps receive only the first genre from Media Center.
Pages: [1]   Go Up