INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Date Field Display  (Read 774 times)

Dr.Ames

• Recent member
Date Field Display
« on: May 02, 2023, 02:50:39 pm »

Hello,

I need a tip. I have tagged many of my albums at the date field with longer information such as 2001-2003 or 2021/2022. These are not displayed in JRiver. What possibility do I have that this is displayed to me. I come from Foobar and there this was never a problem.
thanks in advance

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
Re: Date Field Display
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 03:13:39 pm »

I would guess that is happening because the data you are entering is not a valid date.
You would need your own custom text tag to display that data

Dr.Ames

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 05:44:33 am »

Thank you - defining and displaying an additional column is not difficult either. Unfortunately, I'm probably too stupid to put an expression there that reads the date field and outputs it in the non-date-compliant text form, e.g. 2003/2004.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 06:38:37 am »

Thank you - defining and displaying an additional column is not difficult either. Unfortunately, I'm probably too stupid to put an expression there that reads the date field and outputs it in the non-date-compliant text form, e.g. 2003/2004.

In order to display things like 2003/2004 the new field has to be set as Data Type = Text as one set as Data Type = Date would not allow you to input 2003/2004
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Dr.Ames

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 12:23:45 pm »

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how exactly to do this - retrieve the contents of the Date field and output it as a data field without customizing the contents, for example. Does anyone have a clue for me?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 01:08:56 pm »

As no date field can contain, for example, 2003/2004, it's a little difficult to follow what you want to achieve.

Could you post an example date, along with what you want to show in your new field?

Dr.Ames

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 01:29:25 pm »

Hello,

since I work with German language system and also settings hopefully I catch the precise designations. It's about many albums of classical music, where works were recorded over several years. So when tagging with "mp3tag" I filled the "Year" field with information like 2003/2004 or 2001-03. some of course with default information like 2015. And only the latter JRiver shows in the "Date" column.

Now I understand the discussion here that I need to read and output the date/year field custom as a non-date field - but I am unable to implement this, unfortunately.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 02:29:46 pm »

I can't add anything other than a 4 digit year to the year tag, if I try to it blanks it out.
However, there is tag call 'Period' amongst the Classical tags, if you are not using that for anything else maybe you could use that.
If you select all the items you want to update then edit the Period tag for them and type =[year] in the tag it will set 'Period' to what ever is in the 'Year' tag

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 11:44:57 pm »

In MC the [Day], [Month] and [Year] Tags/Fields are all Sub-Sets of the [Date] Tag/Field and the [Date] field/tag will only ever accept a Legitimate Calendar Date. In addition if you change any one of those 4 fields that change will automatically be reflected in the other 3.

If the tag/field you have been putting things like 2001-2003 or 2021/2022 in is not called "Date" then you can add that tag/field to the ones MC Knows/Uses by using Tools >> Options >> Library & Folders >> ... Manage Library Fields >>  Add New Field Option.

If it does have the name "Date" then there is no way it's content can be imported into, or used by, MC so you will have to use the above option to add in a New Field that has a suitable name, i.e. Date (Performance or Orig Recorded) with it's Edit Type set to String, and manually input the relevant information/values using the MC Tag Editior and not MP3Tag.

There is a reason why I used naming the tag/field - "Date (Performance or Orig Recorded)" above as that is one of the tag/field names the ET Track-Info Plugins recogises/uses ( https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134776.0.html ), which also happen to be the onlyTrack-Info Plugins designed for use with Classicsl Music.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Dr.Ames

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 02:09:08 pm »

Thanks for the Answer, so the only way I can solve the problem is by completely re-tagging - I was hoping to just read the field and output it in a non-date format in JRiver.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 12:59:12 pm »

Maybe you can use MP3Tag to copy your existing DATE tag to a new tag name?  Choose a name like "DateRange" or something that won't be a standard field name.  Then you can import that field into MC.   You'll need to create the exact same named field in MC's library and then import your files.  Try one file and see if it works.

Brian.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 01:48:00 pm »

Maybe you can use MP3Tag to copy your existing DATE tag to a new tag name?  Choose a name like "DateRange" or something that won't be a standard field name.  Then you can import that field into MC.   You'll need to create the exact same named field in MC's library and then import your files.  Try one file and see if it works.

Brian.

MP3 tag is a very useful program but is not needed in this case. I have provided a solution upthread to copy the value in the Date field to another field within JRiver

Dr.Ames

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 02:43:36 pm »

I like JRiver very much and I don't regret buying a new license. Still, the switch from Foobar seems more painful than I thought. I have a very large music library with many self ripped CDs(formerly EAC, then dbpoweramp) and many hi-res albums. dbpoweramp in particular often generated very long file names, but these were never a problem for Foobar. JRiver, however, did not want to read in several thousand tracks and I had to make all kinds of shortenings in the folder - and file names over several hours - the option to support longer names was enabled, of course. On top of that, I can't see the precise date labels now either.

However, JRiver scores in the most important point clearly ahead of Foobar, because now I can listen to my DSD and Hi-Res albums without any interference or restarts of the program, as Foobar weakened there more often and JRiver is perfect there, at least so far.  :)

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2023, 08:59:27 pm »

MP3 tag is a very useful program but is not needed in this case. I have provided a solution upthread to copy the value in the Date field to another field within JRiver

I think you misunderstand what he's trying to do.  He has information in a Date field, outside of JRiver, that has more than one date in it.  JRiver can't read that.  So it needs to go into a more generic field name that JRiver will read as a plain sequence of characters instead of trying to convert it to a single date.

Brian.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2023, 01:43:07 am »

I think you misunderstand what he's trying to do.  He has information in a Date field, outside of JRiver, that has more than one date in it.  JRiver can't read that.  So it needs to go into a more generic field name that JRiver will read as a plain sequence of characters instead of trying to convert it to a single date.

Brian.
Yes, I missed "outside of JRiver". It makes a lot more sense now.

Dr.Ames

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2023, 05:44:12 am »

Thank you very much - this is exactly what I want. But since I don't post here in my native language, I may not always be able to articulate myself precisely enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up