INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Album detailed list  (Read 1772 times)

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
Feature request: Album detailed list
« on: February 17, 2003, 09:05:53 am »

MusicMatch and RealOne have an option that MC9 does not. It seems a pretty nice option to me, so I ask you if it would be hard to implement...

I am talking about a detailed album list with at least these columns:

Album / Artist Album / Total Time / Nb. Tracks / Total size /...

This list should be as powerful as the actual datailed track list (with sorting capatibilities, with tagging option, with tools menu, and so on).

Now you have a toggle bottom with three options:

-Details
-Thumbnails
-Thumbnails (album group if logical)

You could add a forth option ("Album Details") or you could split the button into two.

-Track list / Album list
-Detailed view / Thumbnail view

I know you are now thinking about the "Album Artist" feature, so i guess now it is the right moment to also think about this common view.

Thanks for listening,

Polonio

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature request: Album detailed list
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 09:32:26 am »

This is sort of what the "Statistics" page is intended for. (same place the "File Properties" stuff is)

Could simple modifications there do what you want?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 10:01:54 am »

This is sort of what the "Statistics" page is intended for.

Could simple modifications there do what you want?

At least, it is necessary to sort and play albums just from the list. So, yes, simple modifications could work around the "problem".

However, I think "Statistics" is not the adequate place to look for that. The list I am talking about is not a statistic or wierd thing. It is a pretty basic organizational feature.

If I can see the album's covertarts in the main board, I expect to see the album's info in the same place. I think exists a perfect relation between track list/track thumbsnails, and album list/album thumbsnails. So why to separete them into different windows?

Please, brainstorm about it, and I think you'll realize that info has to be in the main board. You can look if you want to MM or RealOne (sorry about it), and you'll see that this view is very useful and powerful, and both jukeboxes have good aproaches into it. MC has to be the best. Don't you think? :-)

Best regards,

Polonio

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 11:10:23 am »

This makes some sense to me:

I love the option to view albums' cover art grouped but if you want to select just one track from an album you need to toggle the view.

Being able to click on an album cover and then view a list of tracks in the right hand panel would be v cool.

The principal functionality of this list (for me) would be to access the play type functions normally accessed by a right click over a track

nila

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 03:29:03 pm »

How about this?

You right now have the Thumbnails (Album Group).

Make the 'Statistics' Pane become an: 'Album' Pane.

Make it list all the tracks for the album clicked on with the ability to right click on any track and choose:
play, properties, etc, etc.

Also make it include a summary of the album (number of tracks, total length, year (presuming they're all the same or saying: 'mismatched'.

Make the 'Album Name' and 'Artist' and 'Year' fields editable so it can be used as a fast and powerful way to edit the album details.

If a bit of though and planning was put into doing it like this, it could be a hugely powerful, very easy to use tool.

And I know you guys dont like buttons, but how about some buttons on this pane too :)

One for: Play Album, Enque Album, and whatever else anyone else wants.

Just for me - put a 'Play Album' button that sends the album to 'Playing Now' pretty please :) I like buttons instead of constant right clicks :)

Marty3d

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 11:26:20 pm »

Another great idea from Nila! :)

nila

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 12:59:09 am »

Ahh,

Another feature I discover in MJ.

Hey Matt, I just started playing with the statistics page a bit after you mentioned it and had a look at it.

I then noticed the drop down list at the bottom too finally and started having a good old play with the 'statistics'. This name however always just gave me the impression that it was a tool to see 'statistics' in a very numerical sense of the tracks. I never really thought of it as a view scheme or a tool but always as a summary page with statistically information about the tracks so never looked into it. It might be worth renaming it to 'Overview' or something.
It's quite a nice tool but to me it just gave the overall impression of being a 'make do/compromise/quick fix'.
Dont take this as a negative statement, far from it. It means you spotted an area that MJ was lacking in and instantly tried to plug the gap and make MJ have all features as you usually do.

Being able to see a list of all the albums followed by the Album details etc as you can in RealOne (just installed it yesterday after this post to check it out as I hadn't used any real software in years) is a great feature.
The stastics page kind of provides this but instead of having it available with a lot of power in the main window where it's clear to see with plenty of space, it's in the side smally properties window.

I start browsing down the list looking at the Artist - #tracks and instantly feel the desire to double click on an album to view it's tracks, or to play the album. This of course failed and didn't work. I then try right clicking to play the album and this too doesn't exist as a feature.

If this was integrated into the main window so that we could be using the tree on the left to navigate the artists with the window on the right then showing all the albums for that artist with the album summary details as is done in RealOne with the ability to then click into this album etc then it would really be using this to it's full potential.

Right now the right screen always just has everything as tracks unless it's in Album Grouping mode.

Allowing the right panel to change what it shows in what manner would give MJ a HUGE overall new level of power. It would make one of the first Jukeboxes that fully gives control to the user over how the information is displayed and navigated rather than simply allowing them to select which fields are displayed.

Obviously it would be a HUGE thing to add and so I dont see it appearing in v9 but for v10 it might be something worth considering that would be a BIG change that could really be useful and make navigation in MJ suit everyones needs and tastes down to a T.

It would be ESPECIALLY useful for the 'My Computer' mode as allowing the right panel to change its behaviour and way it displays info would mean that folders could be made to appear on the right allowing the 'My Computer' tool to feel much more intuitive and similar to explorer which would increase useability no end.

I've just started using RealOne and I have to admiit, I do really like the fact the right pane displays a list of all the child nodes to whichever tree I'm on in the left but in a summarised manner which I can then click on to view.

I do also miss just having a list of all tracks a bit and to say which was the best way of doing it I couldn't do.

To say that being able to do both however from one program would make that program the absolute king with a simple two buttons that toggled between view modes.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2003, 03:13:10 am »

I then noticed the drop down list at the bottom too finally and started having a good old play with the 'statistics'. This name however always just gave me the impression that it was a tool to see 'statistics' in a very numerical sense of the tracks. I never really thought of it as a view scheme or a tool but always as a summary page with statistically information about the tracks so never looked into it.

Matt...

Think about this relative to the grouping we've been talking about - based on View Schemes. I'll bet you don't remember, but I made a post suggesting the Statistics pull-down Nila's talking about be populated with View Scheme groupings.

If you'll think about the application of View Scheme Grouping to stats ---- I think you'll find it puts a lot of power into the users hands, and again, it's transparent to today's operation. Simply take the groupings represented by the components in each View Scheme and make them choices for Stats, along with a couple defaults.

Nila, ich denke dass du aus Deutschland komst, oder in der Nahe. Nicht wahr? Ich habe ein gut Frend in Wien, und ich fahre nach Deutschland und Oesterreich ca. zweimahl pro jahr. Niederland auch freut mich :)

schoene Gruesse aus Californie, Randy

nila

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2003, 03:47:15 am »

Hey :)

I dont speak German sorry.

What was that in English?

This is kind of a hard topic to describe as it's a bit wierd trying to explain it.

I'd ESPECIALLY want to use this method of displaying info for search results when I search for albums as I dont want to see all the tracks.
I'd LOVE to be able to put the -a modifier and have all the results come back as a list of albums rather than a listing of all the tracks.

These days with all the hundreds/thousands of albums we're all starting to have, even albums need to be searched through fast and easily. :)

V-Man

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2003, 04:41:09 am »

Nila, ich denke dass du aus Deutschland komst, oder in der Nahe. Nicht wahr? Ich habe ein gut Frend in Wien, und ich fahre nach Deutschland und Oesterreich ca. zweimahl pro jahr. Niederland auch freut mich :)

schoene Gruesse aus Californie, Randy

Now let's see how much German I remember! It's been 12 years since I did it in school!

"Nila, I think that you come from Germany, or nearby. I have a good friend in Wien, and I travel to Germany and Austria twice a year. <something about Holland> :)

"Greetings from California, Randy."

Is that close? :D

nila

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2003, 05:36:56 am »

LOL.
LONDON BABY!!!

All the way :)

Why'd you think I come from Germany?

OH yeah - and back on this topic?

RealOne uses this method for it's playlists too and it's a great way of managing the playlists as I can select several to delete etc and I can also easily see how many tracks are in each, the total duration of all these tracks etc.
It's a great tool :)

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 09:12:08 am »

LONDON BABY!!!

All the way :)

Why'd you think I come from Germany?

8) I saw a couple things you wrote, like: "telling me to get losts?" and "Another feature I discover in MJ." Using 'discover' without the 'ed' is the kind of verb conjugation thing I see from german-speaking people in e-mail. Hmm... probably like you can tell I'm American from my first sentence; a Brit would have said:

I saw a couple things you wrote, such as:

The "like" vs. "as" controversy.   ( I am WAY too anal at times.  :)  )

OH yeah - and back on this topic?

RealOne uses this method for it's playlists too and it's a great way of managing the playlists as I can select several to delete etc and I can also easily see how many tracks are in each, the total duration of all these tracks etc.
It's a great tool

Cool. I didn't know it was being done elsewhere. I just know that the way I look at the music and images in the View Schemes is the same way I want to look at the stats. (And the Thumbnail grouping, which I'm crossing my fingers for).

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2003, 03:51:19 pm »

This discussion seems similar to some of the questions that I was asking here:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1045176706

I really love the album grouped thumbnail view, and think that there's just a few things keeping it from being ideal:

1)      I really only want to see it in Media Library views. When an album or play list moves to Playing Now, I want it to go to a detail view.

2)      I like the idea of the statistics tab showing more detail about tracks in an album. This way as you quickly move though albums, you don't have to depend on a tooltip popup.

3)      There is no #3

4)      I want to have all of my 'Multiple Artist' albums appear in one place. So far, I haven't seen a way to do this, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Overall, I'm really liking how this release is shaping up- the ability to have multiple artist albums and group them by Album Artist has changed the very fabric of my universe (my therapist suggests that I should look into this...).
Keeping the world safe for short SIGs

NoCodeUK

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2003, 03:15:09 pm »

Randy - you forgot the fact that us brits have to say of as well - a couple of things... we are pretty anal at times too :)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder
Pages: [1]   Go Up