INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Questions on JRVR Enhancements please?  (Read 1076 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Some Questions on JRVR Enhancements please?
« on: May 30, 2023, 07:26:57 pm »

I’m curious to have more clarification on what some of the JRVR enhancements are actually doing.
I have read the Wiki but still not 100% clear what some do or don’t do. I’ve searched outside of the JR forum and still its hard to get the answers without people guessing…
I’m hoping that Hendrik might shed some further light on the subject.

My main usage is JVC NZ9 proj on a large 145” screen, 99.9% of all films are 1080 BDs as I don’t care that much for the titles on UHD. 50% of the BDs are older classic titles which would be from 35mm film stock, often with grain, from light to heavy. The other 50% are new digital 1080 titles.
I have the 3080 graphics card and use  FSRCNNX 16 upscaling everything to 4K, I don’t use lower resolutions under 1080p.

I found an old post from Hendrik and it started to make me wonder…. I hope Hendrik can help clarify my questions.
Personally I'm still not sure about SuperRes. On high quality content, the difference it makes is very minimal, and on low quality content it tends to sharpen the artifacts more than I would like.

As I play a lot of older classics which were shot on 35mm and often have grain, I’m sometimes seeing terrible odd artifacts which I’m trying to discover what’s introducing them on my settings. I’ve reduced my Adaptive Sharpening from 80 to 30 which helps somewhat. The description for this states from 30 to 200, is it still working if one set it to 10. I have Sigmoidal light and SuperRes on. I’ve gone back and forth turning these settings on and off to find what causing the artifacts on older titles. On “new digital content” I have ticked both Sigmoidal light and SuperRes, plus run Adaptive Sharpening on 80 and the image is spectacular, but there is no way that I can change this manually ON/OFF depending on content. I don’t want to make a Profile for 1080/UHD as all content isn’t the same.

My questions are:
1.   Does FSRCNNX 16 add any sharpening to the image?
2.   Does Adaptive sharpening do anything if set below the recommended 30 to 200, e.g. 10?
3.   Does Scale in Sigmoidal light add any sharpness?
4.   How much sharpness does SuperRes ON add to the image? Madvr gives control over this from 1 to 4 but JRVR doesn’t.
5.   When one is using FSRCNNX 16, in what situation would any of the other Upscaling Algorithms (that might be ticked in the list) ever cut in, or don’t they ever?

I need some fine tuning here and I’m sure some others that use similar equipment and content may help me.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Some Questions on JRVR Enhancements please?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 10:46:52 pm »

Sorry Murray, I think we got distracted with the profiles discussion so I split that off into it's own thread.  Hopefully Hendrik can answer your original questions.
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 12:05:11 am »

Excellent idea Nathan.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 05:07:28 am »

1.   Does FSRCNNX 16 add any sharpening to the image?

That question doesn't make much sense in the context of scalers. Scalers can be sharp or soft, and will bring out details more or less. There is no "adding sharpening"

2.   Does Adaptive sharpening do anything if set below the recommended 30 to 200, e.g. 10?

Sure, but very little.

3.   Does Scale in Sigmoidal light add any sharpness?

Sigmoidal light is designied to minimize ringing artifacts when scaling, ringing is often interpreted as false-sharpness, so if anything, its the opposite (but you really don't want ringing).

4.   How much sharpness does SuperRes ON add to the image? Madvr gives control over this from 1 to 4 but JRVR doesn’t.

You'll just have to test how it feels.

5.   When one is using FSRCNNX 16, in what situation would any of the other Upscaling Algorithms (that might be ticked in the list) ever cut in, or don’t they ever?

FSRCNNX will exactly double the size of the image, eg. from 1080p to 2160p. All other upscaling algorithms are only used when further size changes are needed. eg. a 720p would be doubled to 1440p, and then further upscaled to 2160p with the other algorithms.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up