INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zone Groups  (Read 284 times)

kpstanton

• Recent member
Zone Groups
« on: June 02, 2023, 01:38:20 pm »

Is it possible that some kind person could tell me how 'Zone Groups" work or at least post a link to documentation on "Zone Groups"?  I can create one, but I see know way in which to send audio to it.  How do they differ from "Linked Zones"?  Any help would be most appreciated. 

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
Re: Zone Groups
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 11:24:17 am »

kpstanton

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 01:44:29 pm »

I did do a search in the forum for "Zone Groups", but could find nothing that explained (at least to a non techie like me) exactly how they work, i.e. how does one send audio to a zone group.  I was hoping that someone had a link to some official JRiver documentation on the feature. I am unable to find any.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 02:04:40 pm »

how does one send audio to a zone group.
You need to set up Zone Switch rules.  Search the forum for that.

NOTE: I don't personally use Zone Link or Zone Group myself, but I definitely use Zones/Zone Switch, which are rather awesome tools. You just have to be patient until you get the hang of implementing the Switch rules correctly (rule order can be vital).

I was hoping that someone had a link to some official JRiver documentation on the feature. I am unable to find any.
The wiki for zones is: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones, which is why I linked to the threads in my previous post. If you read through them from beginning to end, especially the 1st link, I think it is reasonably clear.

My take from what I read is:
- Zone Link: MC plays all linked zones simultaneously (depending on your zone switch rules, they may be unique playlists or the same playlist)
- Zone Group: Each zone assigned to the group will have the identical playlist (normally playlists are unique to each zone) and each zone can be played one at a time (unlike Zone Link).  It seems to me that zone switch rules could conflict with this behavior, and I have no idea how MC deals with that.

In any event, that is my understanding of the difference.  If I've got it wrong, hopefully a zone expert will weigh in and provide better information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up