More > JRiver Media Center 31 for Windows

NEW: VST Latency Compensation

<< < (2/5) > >>

Flak:
Interesting!!

Is it possible to manually enter in JRiver the desired VST latency compensation?

eve:
Holy smokes.

Thank you!!!! This is actually a huge deal

Flak:
I've just got confirmation from our developer of the Dirac plugin that the Dirac Live processor already informs the host of the latency  :)

mumford:

--- Quote from: Flak on June 09, 2023, 11:36:20 am ---Interesting!!

Is it possible to manually enter in JRiver the desired VST latency compensation?

--- End quote ---

I like to expand this question with a use case scenario.  JRiver plays a movie and uses HDMI audio out to an external Dolby Atmos decoder, such as Arvus H1-D.  Multi-channels of decoded audio will be routed back to the same PC, with JRiver and Hang Loose Convolver installed, via an AES67 ASIO driver.  These channels can be room-corrected using Dirac Live and maybe active crossovers into even more channels. 

How to tell JRiver to add external decoder latency to the audio chain, to sync video with audio?  IEEE 1588 allows timestamps.  Can VST latency compensation read them?

eve:

--- Quote from: mumford on August 26, 2023, 03:00:09 pm ---I like to expand this question with a use case scenario.  JRiver plays a movie and uses HDMI audio out to an external Dolby Atmos decoder, such as Arvus H1-D.  Multi-channels of decoded audio will be routed back to the same PC, with JRiver and Hang Loose Convolver installed, via an AES67 ASIO driver.  These channels can be room-corrected using Dirac Live and maybe active crossovers into even more channels. 

How to tell JRiver to add external decoder latency to the audio chain, to sync video with audio?  IEEE 1588 allows timestamps.  Can VST latency compensation read them?

--- End quote ---

You're sort of close here (I use AES67 extensively). I'm sort of confused by your logic though, how would you route your AES67 stream from the Arvus (that you're essentially dumping into an ASIO device) back into JRiver and why?   

The way I'd set this up is JRiver > HDMI > Arvus > AES67 Stream > PC (how you receive the AES67 stream may matter, there's a number of VSC options) > DAW/VST Host and then from there, figure out how much delay you're going to need to add to JRiver (which is playing the video and outputting audio over HDMI).
You need to host Dirac in this case if your goal is Atmos since standalone is capped at 8ch IIRC?

It's definitely a niche use case (and it's frustrating as heck that we're stuck requiring an Arvus to decode Atmos in real time)

Do you have the Arvus in hand? I've been *really* curious what the latency actually is on it.

AES67 on Windows can be a bit of a mixed bag, it's actually comical how bad / hacky some of the commercial VSCs are (they're just outdated IMO, it's gotten easier to work with PTP timestamps on windows in the last few years).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version