INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inconsistent gapless issues  (Read 489 times)

garretk

Inconsistent gapless issues
« on: September 24, 2023, 04:41:17 pm »

The gapless function has been slightly cutting off the beginnings of songs for me for certain albums. I usually have no issue with DSF and 24/192 FLAC, and it tends to happen more with lower sample rates. Every combination of settings yields the same results unless I choose to insert a gap between tracks.

My computer is run through an HDMI DAC which also processes the audio via USB.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Inconsistent gapless issues
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 09:20:12 pm »

Under Options>Audio>Track Change do you have "Do not play silence (leading and trailing)" checked?  If so try it unchecked.

garretk

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 09:02:56 pm »

I haven't had "Do Not Play Silence" checked, no. The gapless settings below it are unchecked, as well, with just the main Gapless setting selected from the dropdown.

Songs that are supposed to run together play through gaplessly with no issues, and there's no problems when manually selecting an individual track. Going from silence at the end of one track to the start of another is when the problem often occurs.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 07:01:30 am »

My computer is run through an HDMI DAC which also processes the audio via USB.

What does that mean?  Do you mean it has a USB input also?  If so, I would try the USB input instead of HDMI.

Brian.

garretk

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 04:59:03 pm »

It's a DAC used for both the display (via HDMI) and audio (USB). I'll try HDMI instead for audio. It seems like I've exhausted all the settings in MC.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem with cut off track beginnings I'd love to hear of a potential fix.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 07:26:46 pm »

I hope that your experiment with using HDMI works well.  But if it doesn't...

it tends to happen more with lower sample rates

You don't say what the sample rate of both tracks is.  If they are the same, then I don't have a good idea.  But if this is only happening with tracks that have different sample rates, it makes some sense.  Some DACs take a bit of time to change sample rates and might do what you are describing:  Cut off part of the next song after the sample rate change.  If that's what's happening, there is a setting that should fix it:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Playback_Options#:~:text=Play%20silence%20at%20startup%20for%20hardware%20synchronization&text=Note%20that%20this%20option%20is,with%20the%20same%20sample%20rate.

Brian.

garretk

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 06:51:11 pm »

Thanks...more specifically, it is almost guaranteed to happen when transitioning between non-segued tracks on albums in 16/44 FLAC format. And I do have the hardware sync silence enabled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up