INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v31.0.24 causes crash when remoting in from client to server  (Read 712 times)

TP1964

• World Citizen

Bob - Having some issues with crashes since this latest update - 31.0.24. Previously there were no issues and hardware nor software have changed in the interim. Crash report is below, hopefully helpful. The scenario is this:

31.0.24 running on Mac Mini server - M1.
31.0.24 running on Macbook Pro M1 Pro - remotely connecting to server as client via VPN.

Server runs fine until I bring up the client and the client attempts to connect. It doesn't crash the client, but crashes the server. Let me know if you need anything further. I can pretty much recreate this scenario on demand. Crash report is from the server and is attached.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: v31.0.24 causes crash when remoting in from client to server
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 09:27:08 am »

Looks like it's trying to get a display window from a background thread.
I'm not sure why the server would be doing that. Do you have any idea?
I have plenty of Macs here so it would be easy to setup a test.

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 05:30:00 pm »

No - I can’t imagine why it would do that - that doesn’t make sense. And this just started with this new version. So I’m happy to help out any way I can - but I don’t believe anything would have changed - other than I did the last security update from Apple.

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 05:32:37 pm »

And just to reiterate - it runs and plays fine in the server. It runs and plays fine by itself on the server. It’s not until the MacBook tries to connect to the server as a client that this error pops up. Also - panel works fine.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 07:02:35 pm »

And just to reiterate - it runs and plays fine in the server. It runs and plays fine by itself on the server. It’s not until the MacBook tries to connect to the server as a client that this error pops up. Also - panel works fine.
And it's just connecting as a client, nothing else? (like trying to play)?

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 08:20:40 pm »

Correct - it crashes before it gets to a point where it could play (the server) and so the client just sits there with the pinwheel of death.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 08:35:42 am »

Just tried the same and it works fine for me.
What are the startup settings on your server (location of startup and are you running Media Server or not)?
For location, that's under Tools->Options->Startup->Startup location
What's showing on the server when you connect with the client?

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 09:05:15 am »

Location is "Last location", Standard View, Show Action window checked, Show tree checked.

I am using the media server and connecting via the library key.

When I start the client on the MacBook and it goes to connect to the server, the server immediately shows the Mac crash log.

Interestingly, when I click on "reopen" on the crash log, on the server, without closing the client - then the client works as expected and can play files, no problem.

However, if I close the client, reopen the client - it once again crashes. Possibly something corrupted in one of the installs? Should I reinstall on the client or server or both?

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 09:58:55 am »

Another update:

Just to be sure, I restarted the server AND the MacBook Pro, just to make sure that wasn't anything odd in memory.

Started MC on the Mac mini server, then went to the MacBook and started the client version. Crashed the server immediately again - this was with nothing else running on the server.

Next step might be to reinstall MC, but not sure what that would do - OR , I could try going back to the previous version and see if that clears it up. What do you think?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2023, 11:29:42 am »

Another update:

Just to be sure, I restarted the server AND the MacBook Pro, just to make sure that wasn't anything odd in memory.

Started MC on the Mac mini server, then went to the MacBook and started the client version. Crashed the server immediately again - this was with nothing else running on the server.

Next step might be to reinstall MC, but not sure what that would do - OR , I could try going back to the previous version and see if that clears it up. What do you think?
I don't think a reinstall would help. It's likely a combination of things we don't normally run into.
Would you email me copies of your SERVER settings files please?
They are in your home directory under
Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 31/Settings
There is a User Settings.ini and Machine Settings.ini file.
A copy of the library backup from the SERVER would likely help as well.

Please email them to
bob (at) jriver (dot) com

Thanks!

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2023, 12:28:48 pm »

Will do. Thanks!

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 08:54:03 am »

Just a quick update. Sent you the files to your email. Library backup is too large to email.

I reinstalled MC on both the client and server. Same results - so must be down to a setting or something. Still odd, because it was functioning properly, with no changes to hardware or settings in 31.0.21

If you don't see anything obvious - let me know and I'm going to try to downgrade back to .21 and see if the problem still exists there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up