INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about zones  (Read 319 times)

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
Questions about zones
« on: June 21, 2023, 09:55:00 am »

I got a new R2R DAC. I still have my old delta sigma DAC which has been my default DAC for JRiver, and currently my zones are configured with the old DAC. I want to create new zones for the new DAC, duplicating the settings of the current zones but only changing the output device. Can I rename the old zones? Or not? If not, then I create a new zone duplicating settings for a current zone and give it a new name, I think. But it would easier to just rename the old zone, for instance, change old zone named "PCM" to "PCM OPPO" (for the output to OPPO UDP-205 DAC). Then I want to make new zones with names like "PCM HOLO" to send audio to the new Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC.

I now have four zones based on file type: PCM, DSD, PCM Surround, DSD Surround.

I think once I create new zones and link them to the old zones, then JRiver will play both zones simultaneously, is that right? So I can A/B how it sounds between the two DACs playing the same file.

Also, what is a dynamic zone and how/why would I use it?
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Questions about zones
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 05:56:43 pm »

To rename a zone, select in Playing now and right click then select 'Rename'. To create a new zone based on an existing zone, right click on Playing Now and select Add Zone, in the Add Zone dialog select 'Copy' and from the drop-down list select the zone you wish to base the new zone on.
Dynamic zones are typically devices like DNLA renderers, they show up if you have Media Network enabled. e.g., a DLNA enabled AVRs & TVs, or a Media Center network server. Linking two zones does enable simultaneous playback in both zones.

Hope this helps,
Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
Re: Questions about zones
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 06:21:53 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured out a workaround for renaming by creating a new zone copying an old zone and then renaming one of the copies. Think I have a handle on it now. Best regards...
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel
Pages: [1]   Go Up