INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mass Edit Artist to Album Artist  (Read 361 times)

RackDaddy

• Recent member
Mass Edit Artist to Album Artist
« on: July 04, 2023, 03:18:35 pm »

I use the [Album Artist]\[Artist] - [Album] - [Name] to quickly rename files in my library.  I noticed that while all tracks have Artists, many don't have Album Artists, so JRiver creates an "Unknown Artist" folder and tosses them all in there.

I could change my naming convention to just Artist, but I feel like I'm missing something here.  I know that album artist is the artist of (duh) the album, but each track may have a different artist (as in compilations).  Do most folks use my above naming convention, too and see the benefit?

If there is a benefit, is there a way to batch edit the thousands of entries that have Artists, but not Album Artists?  Like a global "make all of these files have the Album Artist equal the Artist"?

TIA!

EDIT:  I see the benefit of keeping the naming convention after looking at my compilations albums.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mass Edit Artist to Album Artist
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 07:26:38 pm »

You could use album artist (auto) field instead

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mass Edit Artist to Album Artist
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 03:44:39 pm »

* Album Artist (auto) is probably what you want to use for this particular case.  It takes either the value of Album Artist OR the value of Album if Album Artist is empty.  Details here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

* You can batch edit as many files as you want and do things like you are asking.  If you wanted to copy the Artist field to Album Artist (which isn't a great idea), you could do it all at once by highlighting the files/albums in question.  Then, in the Tagging Window, you can paste into the Album Artist field:
Code: [Select]
=[Artist]
Note the equals sign and the square brackets around the variable name.  You can use arbitrary expressions where with multiple variable names, etc.  MC has an Expression Language which has many functions for doing string manipulation, math, etc.  So edits can be done in very interesting ways.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up