INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuffle Request for Classical Music  (Read 416 times)

rileywc

• Recent member
Shuffle Request for Classical Music
« on: July 16, 2023, 01:47:03 pm »

This is a feature request and I was unsure where to post it.

I enjoy the shuffle feature for playlists where I put several hundred of my favorite tracks in a Playlist like "Pop Rock".  I have several similar favorites playlists that I play depending on mood.  I would also like to create favorite playlists of Classical works like "Symphonies", "Concertos", etc. and then Shuffle those where each shuffled work comprises multiple movements (tracks) where only the works are shuffled - not the movements within the works. 

Even if I only intend to listen to one work, it would be nice to have it be a random selection from my favorites.  I believe I am not the only one that would appreciate this capability.  I have seen how others modify track tags to do this, but for multiple thousand works each comprising several tracks that involves considerable effort. 

It seems that one relatively simple way to do this would be to create a playlist for each work (e.g., "Beethoven Symphony No 5 [Bernstein]") and put those within a playlist group named "Symphonies" for example.  Then one could shuffle the playlists themselves within the Playlist Group rather than the tracks, and display the randomly selected but unaltered playlist for that particular work.  In other words, Playlist Groups could be made to have Shuffle and Locking capabilities just like playlists currently. 

I could be wrong but it seems like this should be a rather trivial mod for one of your developers since it would largely mimic the playlist track shuffle and locking mechanisms already in place.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Shuffle Request for Classical Music
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 08:58:24 pm »

You could use the "Link Tracks" feature to link the movements together.

Highlight the tracks then right click and select Library Tools>Link tracks.  This keeps the tracks together in a playlist including when you shuffle them.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 07:49:20 am »

rileywc

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 08:58:35 am »

Thanks guys - works great and just what I was looking for!!  I've used MC for years and am glad to still be picking up on it's capabilities.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 09:02:10 am »

We're going to add an album shuffle to a coming build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 09:18:15 am »

We're going to add an album shuffle to a coming build.

Nice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up