INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is Shuffle Albums Supposed to Work?  (Read 462 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
How is Shuffle Albums Supposed to Work?
« on: July 24, 2023, 10:19:37 am »

I see that the new feature "Shuffle Albums" is like "reshuffle" and "reshuffle remaining".  Meaning that is is an operation.  It is not a mode.

When I choose this option (Player > Shuffle > Shuffle Albums), Albums get shuffled around.  My current song, in my current album, ends up in a random part of Playing Now.  Which means that I might only hear one of my albums before Playing Now ends.  Since it might shuffle my current album to the bottom.

By contrast, "Reshuffle", always puts the current song at the top of Playing Now.  So I will eventually hear all the tracks, as they are below the current position.

Given this, how is Shuffle Albums designed to work?  What workflow is anticipated?  I.E., how do you intend this feature to be used?

Thanks,
Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How is Shuffle Albums Supposed to Work?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 11:07:34 am »

I'll make the next build put the playing album at the top.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 01:21:02 pm »

Well thanks Matt.  :)

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 12:18:56 pm »

I just tested MC 31.0.36 with the "shuffle albums with current album at the top of the list" feature.  It works as intended.

Thanks again Matt. 

Brian.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 03:00:44 pm »

I see that the new feature "Shuffle Albums" is like "reshuffle" and "reshuffle remaining".  Meaning that is is an operation.  It is not a mode.

When I choose this option (Player > Shuffle > Shuffle Albums), Albums get shuffled around.  My current song, in my current album, ends up in a random part of Playing Now.  Which means that I might only hear one of my albums before Playing Now ends.  Since it might shuffle my current album to the bottom.

By contrast, "Reshuffle", always puts the current song at the top of Playing Now.  So I will eventually hear all the tracks, as they are below the current position.

Given this, how is Shuffle Albums designed to work?  What workflow is anticipated?  I.E., how do you intend this feature to be used?

Thanks,
Brian.

Good question. I'd like to know as well.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 07:36:59 am »

I'll answer my own question and see if JRiver agrees or disagrees.

Shuffle Albums is a lot like the "Reshuffle" command.  Reshuffle randomly mixes Playing Now and places the currently playing song at the top of Playing Now.  Like shuffling a deck of cards but keeping the same card on top.

Shuffle Albums is very similar except it keeps albums grouped in track order.  So after Shuffle Albums, all Albums in Playing Now will be sorted in track order within albums.  But the albums themselves will be randomly mixed.  Finally, the currently playing album will be at the top of the Playing Now queue.

Reshuffle and Shuffle Albums are one time commands, not modes.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 08:37:22 am »

Couldn't have said it better myself Brian.  Thanks :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up