INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Restore Thumbnails still not working + Lib rebuild issue  (Read 445 times)

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi. I've checked through the forum for answers relating to this issue but it still seems to be unresolved:

I regularly perform a Library Backup with Thumbnails - after every major addition/update to my NAS: basically every day. On two occasions (one today) I had to restore the library from a backup (with thumbnails) but the thumbnails did not come back and had to be rebuilt.

The most recent backup with thumbnails was 2 days ago so I restored that one. All seemed OK on the displayed page after the restore (Recent Albums view). But paging down I could see that thumbnails were being created on the fly. After the restore I performed an Auto Import as I wanted to capture all the files added in the last 2 days. At then end of this it started to rebuild thumbnails - all 55.5K of them.

I noted in other forum posts that there were issues with the thumbnails directory not being created first before the restore but there was no info later on if this was fixed.

Can someone please let me know if there is anything I am supposed to be doing/should not do so that this does not occur again?

Relating to this: the only reason I needed to perform the restore was that I left the NAS and MC31 running whilst away today. When I returned the NAS had gone into sleep mode - which is standard if not touched after some hours. I copied some files onto the NAS and it sprung back to life and then... MC31 started to import files that were already there - in alphabetic order. So I had to restore the library to stop this happening.

Any ideas on this issue as well?

Running MC 31.0.36

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Library Restore Thumbnails still not working + Lib rebuild issue
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 07:29:57 am »

I can't explain this.

A backup with thumbnails should contain a "Thumbnails" folder in the backup.  Inside there will be the offset jmd and thumbnail jmd files.

You could share a backup that wasn't working with matt at jriver dot com, but I'm guessing it's really large.  Maybe Google Drive or Dropbox?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 07:48:05 am »

As for importing files that are already there, the only thing I can think is if the filenames were different.  Carefully compare the filenames of the new and old files.  Maybe something subtle is changing?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 12:16:39 pm »

As for importing files that are already there, the only thing I can think is if the filenames were different.  Carefully compare the filenames of the new and old files.  Maybe something subtle is changing?
My first thought was "The NAS went to sleep, auto import ran, couldn't find the files and so, removed them from the library"?
Would the NAS be considered as a 'removable' drive?
Would the "Protect files on removable drives" option help if that was the case?

-marko

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 02:45:53 pm »

My opinion probably won't be well received but...

NAS should not sleep.  NAS drives should not sleep.  All manner of hardware and software problems are created by things going to sleep.  Keep them on and his problem won't happen.  Your drives will also last longer.

Ask yourself why your NAS is set to put drives to sleep.  What tangible benefit does this have?  What detriments does it have?  For me, the bad effects of sleeping hardware vastly outweigh the good. 

Brian.

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 08:49:48 pm »

I can't explain this.

A backup with thumbnails should contain a "Thumbnails" folder in the backup.  Inside there will be the offset jmd and thumbnail jmd files.

You could share a backup that wasn't working with matt at jriver dot com, but I'm guessing it's really large.  Maybe Google Drive or Dropbox?

Thanks.

thanks for this reply. yes, they contain this folder and files. will contact regarding a copy.

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 08:50:55 pm »

unfortunately nothing is changed. when I do the auto import after restore they are not re-imported

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 08:56:09 pm »

My opinion probably won't be well received but...

NAS should not sleep.  NAS drives should not sleep.  All manner of hardware and software problems are created by things going to sleep.  Keep them on and his problem won't happen.  Your drives will also last longer.

Ask yourself why your NAS is set to put drives to sleep.  What tangible benefit does this have?  What detriments does it have?  For me, the bad effects of sleeping hardware vastly outweigh the good. 

Brian.

yeah, i'm not sure. i turn my 2 NAS off each night as they are noisy enough for me to be annoyed by the hum (even though they are in a different room). i commonly turn them off when i leave the house if going away for a while as well - just this time i left it on.

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 08:58:49 pm »

My first thought was "The NAS went to sleep, auto import ran, couldn't find the files and so, removed them from the library"?
Would the NAS be considered as a 'removable' drive?
Would the "Protect files on removable drives" option help if that was the case?

-marko

thanks - have amended auto import to use this option. we shall see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up