INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import Very Large Library  (Read 432 times)

MusicGuy

• Recent member
Import Very Large Library
« on: May 01, 2023, 10:56:07 am »

To All users with Very Large number of Files under Media Center

Looking for a method, suggestions, etc, to increase speed of Very large imports

What I've found is speed starts decreasing at about 2.5 million (20 terabytes) files. seems to be an index issue, anybody else seeing this issue?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Import Very Large Library
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 11:00:31 am »

MC will do things in the background that can slow down import.  You can turn them off.

Audio analysis
Cover art lookup
Building thumbnails

Are the files on a NAS or USB drives? 

MusicGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 09:19:40 am »

Jim,

Thanks,

Just saw your reply,

I've tried almost everything, please note my PC has 128GB memory, my hard drive is 2T SSD, I use Comcast 1000meg internet, with my music WD Gold with 3.2 connections with the only thing running on it is Media Center.

So not sure what I can do outside Media Center

Also note, I love your software for it's ability to help me organize my Library, which I use extensively,

I use [Grouping] / [Artist-Album] / [Album] to define physical file location, and [Name] for filename. This allows me not only keep everything in order on my hard drives, but allows me to keep them organize in Media Center.

Oh, [Grouping] are "Artists A" thru  "Artists Z" By adding a new [Grouping] of "Collections" and "Foreign"

I solve the issue of multiple artists on an Album. Since under [Artist Album] I can have all tracks of and Album, and maintain, multiple artist performing on a single track.

And by adding "Collections" I can keep Albums with various Artists separate (like Awards & Tributes, etc.

My question is there a way to increase the buffer size, or a way to eliminate  write to Jr's Index until the buffer is full. Much like  "Load" option provided by database vendors?

Jim, I've been a user of Media Center since the early 2000's believe it was one of your 1st version (Reason - you were the only one that supported libraries of larger than 64k tracks) and loaded very fast, both Microsoft and Apple only supported < 64k and took for ever to load. Found you and it was a no brainer, what you have added since is amazing.

Also, please, I upgrade early on each and very release, please stay in business, I love your software, but if you can help me reduce by reload time (which I do twice a year) to less that a 5 to 6 days, I'll love you more.

Thanks, Ron Sample (609) 351-6331

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 04:43:03 pm »

It sounds like you are looking for a database backup and restore.  In MC, they call the database the "Library".  This is a little confusing, but that's the terminology.  Here's a little more info for you.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up