INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from Window 7, JRiver 17 to new  (Read 320 times)

MikeHays

Moving from Window 7, JRiver 17 to new
« on: October 15, 2023, 10:47:06 am »

I currently have JRiver version 17 as part  of my music system. I have an aging, failing laptop PC operating Windows 7. My system consists of an external hard drive (that I back up periodically) where I store FLAC files ripped from CDs, using Media Center to stream to an external DAC. The downstream components are mid-level audiophile quality. I need to upgrade the laptop. I plan to buy a new(er) laptop PC and get a newer version of Windows. I'm pretty sure I need to stick with windows because all of my files on the external hd are windows format, and these files represent a very large time investment from ripping CDs. So I want to continue this part. I understand that JRiver 17 is not compatible with newer versions of Windows, so I will have to upgrade that.  So I have several questions:
What to I need to save on my current PC in order to do this?
How do I transfer libraries, etc. from the old machine to a new one?
What are other questions I don't even know to ask?
Help!
Mike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving from Window 7, JRiver 17 to new
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 02:50:54 pm »

Do a Library Backup (File - Library) on MC17 and move that file to the new computer. You can put it on your external drive to move it.

Connect the external drive to the new computer.

Install MC31 on the new computer.

Restore (File - Library) the Library Backup to MC31.

As long as the fileame (path) is the same on the new computer as on the old, the tracks should be available. If the path is different (e.g. E: rather than D:), you can use the Rename, Move, Copy option to change the path. e.g. change D: to E: If you need to do that, do a few files at a time to check that it is working correctly, then do all the rest of the files.

Rebuild Thumbnails.

Update Options - Audio if necessary.

MC31 should load the MC17 library, but if it does not, you may need to install an intermediate version of MC (like MC25), load the original library backup and then write out a new library for MC31 to read.

Don't delete anything until you are sure everything is working correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up