INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRVR Film Grain  (Read 602 times)

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
JRVR Film Grain
« on: August 13, 2023, 03:11:30 am »

I like to be able to see the film grain in a movie, but the JRVR film grain seems particularly intense compared to MadVR.  Is there any way to reduce the intensity?  I don't see a specific setting.  Thanks for the help.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRVR Film Grain
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 03:12:49 am »

Film Grain is just part of the movie itself, it does not get added by the video renderer.

Maybe you can post an example?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 03:14:16 am »

Maybe adjusting the "Sharping" settings?
JRiver CEO Elect

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 03:32:22 am »

Film Grain is just part of the movie itself, it does not get added by the video renderer.

Sorry, I'm probably calling it the wrong thing.  In MadVR it's called noise and there are several settings that allow me to change how visible it is.

murray

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 04:03:01 am »

I like to be able to see the film grain in a movie, but the JRVR film grain seems particularly intense compared to MadVR.  Is there any way to reduce the intensity?  I don't see a specific setting.  Thanks for the help.
Make sure you have sharpening set on zero. If the movie was shot on 35mm, film grain would be seen, some films greater than others. If it was shot in digital there is no grain. Madvr has a sliding setting to add film grain, some people like this others dont. I personally dont mind film grain, but one needs to take care how much sharpening is added as this will intensify film grain and add artifacts.

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 04:04:32 am »

Sounds like you want noise reduction which I don't think JRVR does.  Are you watching older content?  Shouldn't really be a need to reduce noise in Blu Ray or UHD.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 05:50:17 am »

I think you are referring to dither, JRVR also has various dithering implementations you can play with, by default it uses blue noise.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 01:37:44 pm »

Yeah, I have the blue noise selected, and I do prefer the darker look of it.  My main goal is to reduce the intensity, like is possible with MadVR as others have mentioned.  For whoever asked, I do prefer older films.  I don't watch too many current ones.

murray

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 02:16:03 pm »

Yeah, I have the blue noise selected, and I do prefer the darker look of it.  My main goal is to reduce the intensity, like is possible with MadVR as others have mentioned.  For whoever asked, I do prefer older films.  I don't watch too many current ones.
I have a collection of 3000 odd films, 50% of them are older titles, some with heavy grain. I use blue noise dither selected and Im pleased JRVR doesnt have noise reduction like madvr does as it softens the image. If you find the grain too intence on some of the older titles set sharpening to zero. I use three settings for sharpening depending on the title, zero, 30, and 80 really only for digital new titles. being an X projectionist for some 35+ years Im used to grain on film and dont dislike it at all.

If all your titles are bluray you should be fine, if DVD well thats a problem on its own.
Pages: [1]   Go Up