INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDR tone mapping settings- need some help!  (Read 628 times)

iankelsall25

• Recent member
HDR tone mapping settings- need some help!
« on: September 01, 2023, 02:46:12 am »

I would appreciate some help with the tone mapping settings. I have a Hisense HDR 4K TV linked to my PC.

In the HDR settings, it says the TV's Max HDR brightness" is 1499 nits. What should I set the 'HDR to HDR target peak nits' to?

I don't actually understand what this value actually does.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: HDR tone mapping settings- need some help!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 02:57:49 am »

If it reports 1499, that likely means the TV did not actually report any brightness value. This seems to be the fallback value Windows reports if it doesn't know any better.

If you want to use your TVs HDR capability, I could recommend to start without tonemapping, just using pass-through, and see how it looks. If you want to use HDR to HDR tonemapping, you would have to determine the peak brightness of your TV, from a spec sheet or reviews online, or something like that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 06:50:46 am »

If it reports 1499, that likely means the TV did not actually report any brightness value. This seems to be the fallback value Windows reports if it doesn't know any better.

If you want to use your TVs HDR capability, I could recommend to start without tonemapping, just using pass-through, and see how it looks. If you want to use HDR to HDR tonemapping, you would have to determine the peak brightness of your TV, from a spec sheet or reviews online, or something like that.

Which HDR peak brightness measurement would you recommend using from the RTINGS benchmarks?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 07:06:59 am »

Generally, use the highest peak it can produce. I would probably just go with 1500 with those values.

If there is a way to determine the level at which it actually turns off its own tone mapping, that would be the ideal target. But determining that varies per TV and can be rather complicated.

My LG G1 barely does 800 nits, but I largely see only very minor differences from pass-through or HDR to HDR tone mapping. I suppose it matters more if the screen's built-in tone mapping is not that great.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up