INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can my library overwrite my server files?  (Read 272 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Can my library overwrite my server files?
« on: August 27, 2023, 08:29:14 pm »

Hi, not entirely sure how to ask this question, but I'll try.

I am a music-only MC31 user, and I have 266,431 files in my library. I run a setup that has my Synology NAS as the file source -> JRiver IdNUC -> Control Amp/DAC. I've recently learned that - despite using MC for a decade - when I find duplicate files, and select "Remove from Media Library and permanently delete from disk" - the files are not, in fact, deleted from my NAS. I'm sure it's a rights issue, and I am not smart enough to know (on my own) how to set this up properly.

That means that, while I've carefully cultivated (perhaps not carefully enough, considering how many duplicates I've found over the years) my collection, the commands I've given MC have not been fully executed on my NAS.

My question is: if I properly give MC permission to remove the files from my NAS, as I have for many years, can my library actually "execute" the file deletions? I'd like to. I can regain wasted storage space on my NAS, and move forward on other projects I have in mind.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can my library overwrite my server files?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 01:40:15 pm »

First step is to establish write access in the operating system for your NAS. Try to create and delete a few temporary files on the NAS from Windows file explorer on the idNUC. Once that is working properly MC should be able to remove files as if they were local.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Re: Can my library overwrite my server files?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 02:11:12 pm »

Thanks Bryan! Appreciate your reply. I will work to fix things on the network access side (meaning I'll get help), but I assume that's for future use.

My real question is, if I can get that all squared away, will my current Library (XML file), or some settings in JRiver MC somehow "release the hounds" and somehow suddenly execute on all of the deletion commands I've made over the years, and "catch up"? I would LIKE this to happen, I'm not fearful, I'm just wondering if that's how it works. My fear is that JRiver thinks that all those commands over the years have ALREADY been executed, and there's no log, or some history to apply to my NAS files. Lots of effort gone to waste, frankly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up