INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album continuation from the middle  (Read 572 times)

spetef

• Recent member
Album continuation from the middle
« on: September 12, 2023, 12:03:28 pm »

I would like to know how I can make the JRiver MediaCenter program allow me to select an album from the middle of an artists body of work and have the program then play the next album(s) later released without interuption. For example, If I select Led Zeppelin and want to start with Houses of The Holy, I want it to continue to play Physical Graffiti and the other albums until the program finishes with Coda. I know that if I select the first album, Led Zeppelin, the program will then play all of Led Zeppelins albums in order to the last album. Any help in solving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Pete

markf2748

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album continuation from the middle
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 12:50:50 pm »

A brute force "manual"  method is to create an Album Artist view, with each artist's albums sorted by release date (earliest to latest, assuming you have populated an appropriate Library Field).  Then just select the artist and respective set of albums you want from the view (use standard keyboard shortcuts to speed up selection to the end if desired) and hit play.  In one fell swoop, all your selections should appear listed sequentially in Playing Now and start playing. 

spetef

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 01:24:05 pm »

Thanks for the info. My posistion is that one should not have to do anything but select the album one wants to start with at at any point in the artists album chain and then the rest of the remaining albums should just play. One should not have to "brute force" anything. This is a programing issue that should be addressed. When I select an artist I should not have to be required to make a playlist, brute force or anything else. I should be able to randomly select an album regardless of position and once that album is finished, if there is another album to follow, it should just play.
Again thanks for your suggestion.

Pete

markf2748

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 01:35:07 pm »

One step closer is to RMB select the starting album in an ordered view, and choose menu item More Play Options > Play (from here).

Note that in MC "Playing Now" always contains the list of tracks to be played.  It is created automatically based on the selections you choose to play, which is different from creating, curating, and saving a "Playlist" as such.

spetef

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 02:13:51 pm »

Again thank you for responding and help. What you are suggesting still requires me to have do steps that I believe I should not have to do. I am currently listening to Eric Clapton's Rarities 1983-1988, which I have filed under 1988. It was released this summer, but because it's covers 1983 -1988, it falls before Disc One (Studio Blues) which follows. Again, when
Rarities finishes Disc One (Studio Blues) should just automatically play, no extra work on my part. You may enjoy manipulating Media Center, I, on the other hand, do not. Please if you are a developer help make Media center more simple. This would be a big step moving towards that.
Again thanks for your help

Pete

spetef

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 02:21:43 pm »

Oops, Rarites 1983-1998

spetef

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 02:28:28 pm »

I have over 16 tera bytes of music, mostly 24bit files haviing to go though the process of setting up play each time is taking time away from listening. This is why I have finally reached out to, hopeful, get this addressed.

Pete

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 06:42:01 pm »

With respect to spetef:

MC might not be the right media player for you.  MC works on a paradigm of Playing Now being a queue.  This is an on-the-fly list of songs to be played. 

The things you are suggesting are for players that don't use a queue, but rather have a continuous play behavior.  These players are quite different in how a person interacts with them and how they decide what music to play.

If you take some time to learn how MC's Playing Now works, you might enjoy the incredible control it gives you.  Or perhaps, as I first suggested, the MC style of player isn't the right choice for you.

In either case, I wish you the best of luck.

Brian.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 07:22:25 pm »

One step closer is to RMB select the starting album in an ordered view, and choose menu item More Play Options > Play (from here).
Markf's suggestion above is pretty easy to implement. 

If you look at the attached picture, I show all 31 albums I have by Spyro Gyra. If I right-click on any of those album thumbnails and choose More Play Options, and then Play (from here), that loads that album, and all the albums that follow it (which I have sorted by date of release) into the Playing Now queue, and then immediately begins playing. If I understand your original post, this is exactly what you want to achieve, right?

Even better, once you have chosen the Play (from here) option, it will now be in your "recent selections" list (notice the item at the top of the 1st menu) making access even faster.

spetef

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 08:11:45 pm »

Thanks for the response. I see now what I need to do. It's an extra step but one i will and can live with.
Thanks for the help

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up