INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who wants cool crossfade like in BPM?  (Read 4863 times)

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
Who wants cool crossfade like in BPM?
« on: November 21, 2002, 08:30:59 am »

Hi, I'm asking if someone wants a cross-fader in MJ like it is in BPM Studio?

1. Would be really great if it were possible to adjust fade-settings without having to restart playback.

2. Change settings on the main-screen directly, not on a settings-page, with two lines that represent the two files, just like in BPM.

3. Fade-out & Fade-in should be independent of each other.

Would be really cool to see this in MJ9 just above the player-part of the main-screen!!

Since Matt told me that it is easy to be done, but a question of memory usage of MJ, I would invite all users to give their comment on this issue:

You want that great features & have no problem when MJ takes some more MB of RAM??
Or do you want to stay MJ as resource-saving as possible & drop this features.

Since my machine has 512 MB RAM, I wouldn't care if Mj took some more or less, I think that most people are in the same situation.

Please sign up.
Thanks
Raist

phelt

Re: Who wants cool crossfade like in BPM?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2002, 10:00:49 am »

I think you may be a little optimistic with regard to people's RAM, but hopefully we will see.

I don't think I would like to sit and manually edit crossfade splines for my music collection - I get enough of that in Acid  :P But I can certainly see how this would be of interest, especially to anyone doing DJ work, etc.

I would like to be able to define per-album crossfade settings. That would be sweet. I have about 700 megs of RAM free, on average.

bennyd

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Project Leader
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2002, 10:46:15 am »

count me in
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

nila

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 12:23:00 pm »

I'd like this.
That's what most most jukeboxes lack. Any advanced play controls.

I'd also lilke to see:
 - repeat mode extended to play all songs, repeat single song, repeat all songs  (repeat single song being the new feature). Possibly also another mode - repeat segment of song.

- a button like frame by frame advance on a video machine that lets us play the song at different tempo's. Possibly containing several present tempo's for easy use but also allowing us to change the tempo manually. A slider like a volume control might be the best way of doign this.

- either an extra button or the play button extended to 'intro mode' which doesn't just play the first X seconds of each song but will play X seconds of each song starting from Y. This could be extended to allow us to set start points in a song where we could hit play from and it would keep playing this song from this point.
This would be very useful for dancers, singers, musicians, etc :)

Also agree with a post a while ago but I cant remember which that the backwards button, pressed once, should restart the current song, not instantly go to the previous. This would mimic the behaviour of most  physical players and so be easier to get used to.

TimB

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 12:27:27 pm »

Sorry but in a world of finite resources this does nothing for me.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2002, 01:14:41 pm »

Doesnt do anything for me either .. although I *would* like a quick explain of the current options (like, how does gapless work?) ...

I have no need to manually change the Media Jukebox .. (*cough* Juke-Box ... Not Turn-Table .... Just harrassing you BPM Techno Crowd)

nila

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2002, 02:31:56 pm »

I dont think adding the features I mentioned would drain any resources would they?

TimB

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2002, 03:16:37 pm »

I dont think adding the features I mentioned would drain any resources would they?

I was once told by a developer that schedule plus extra features equals longer schedule and to not fool myself otherwise. :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

NoCodeUK

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2002, 11:18:48 pm »

I am in 4 crossfade, play selected parts of track and changing tempo. As a musician this would be fantastic for learning songs.  I can do it in Winamp using a plugin.  Maybe a plugin for MJ would be a better bet rather than adding it into the main interface.  Matt told me a while back that he had written a plugin for tempo change but had never actually implemented it into the system.  If it is popular enough maybe now is the time for its debut??

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2002, 01:08:37 am »

The problem with doing it as a plugin is that it would make it not as easy to control. If it was a main part of the program it could be built into the GUI to fit in the player window so it was easily modifiable as each song played.

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2002, 01:36:11 am »

Nila, you just described the way I want cross-fading in MJ: easy, intuitíve & integrated into player-window.

Great to see someone is having the same ideals and dreams. :)
And you're right, a plug-in wouldn't solve this effort. MOreover cross-fading of plug-in would interfere with fading of main-program! Last but not least, nobody needs an additional tab for gappless playback if it were added to main-screen, just pull both lines of the two tracks together & thats'it. I would also recommend to have a mover at bottom for whole fading-time & presets, like in BPM, so you can select gapless with one-click!

I have no need to manually change the Media Jukebox .. (*cough* Juke-Box ... Not Turn-Table .... Just harrassing you BPM Techno Crowd)

Come on, nobody forces you to use this when it gets added (HOPEFULLY!!) Just leave settings as you want them and it will cross-fade differently only when you want it! Did you ever have a lookt at BPM-Studio? You don't have to change settings for each track manually, but it is possible!! That's a big difference. If you want, you can play files with same cross-fade all the time in BPM, but then you bought the wrong product, BUT IT IS POSSIBLE!! You see?

And that's why I asked it to be integrated just like in BPM, to serve all users, those that want easy cross-fading and Those, that want professional crossfading.

Thanks
Raist

P.S: Some people might get the feeling that I should use BPM instead of MJ, because I'm so in favour of this program. I MUST SAY NO! Database of BPM is crap, MJ's is the best around, most flexible, that's why I love it. Only missing is really the extended fading!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2002, 11:50:28 am »

Why not just use MJ's Send To External Tool to send your playlist to BPM Studio?

They're trying to sell MJ to the masses, and the masses pretty much only understand Play, Stop, Pause, etc.

BPM Studio looks like it will do all of the stuff you guys want, and it won't hinder the new people trying this out for the first time who only want to listen to their music.

nila

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2002, 05:00:22 pm »

None of the requested features would 'hinder' any new users. They'd simply offer addition power to users who wanted to take advantage of it which is always a bonus. New users also grow into more power users over time and so as long as it didn't interfere with them to begin with they might want to use it later down the line.

Repeat current song, repeat all songs is quite a common feature for jukeboxes.

And as for the things like tempo etc two points.
1. They wouldn't hinder anyone as they'd be a seperate button that they wouldn't have to use unless they wanted.
2. They cant be that uncommon otherwise Creative wouldn't have a tempo play button in their creative play centre. Pressing it will toggle through a bunch of pre-selected tempo speeds.

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2002, 03:36:25 am »

Nila is as always right, all these new features would not make MJ more complicated for beginners, but it would indeed help teh advanced users.

Dear Doof, if you had read my post above completely, you would have seen that I already described this there, that it is no problem to have an easy-to-use jukebox, that can be used as complete DJ-tool by advanced users!!
Moreover you would have seen why I heavily want fading in MJ & don't use BPM, cause BPM's database is completely crap!!

So please don't panic users here in the forum, that these features would make MJ som complicate that almost noone can handle it anymore, that's NOT TRUE!!

Actually, MJ offers already many features besides your mentioned "PLAY & STOP", like Media Server, several databases,... that don't get used by all of the users, espeically not by the beginners. BUT it is because of all these features that make MJ superior to all other jukeboxes, it is completely versatile & easy-to-use!!

So I think that the great team behing MJ can realize a super-cool fader that is completely idiot-proof!! All we need are some requests posted here to show up the interest of the users in such a new feature.

Thanks for attention
Raist

Roger_the_Shrubber

• Recent member
  • 6 strings good, 4 strings better
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2002, 09:16:06 pm »

Gimme Gimme Gimme!!!!

I'm right with you guys....

DJ software db management is well........hmmmmm.......absolutely dismal

When can we expect this  :) :) :)

(pretty please?)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2002, 11:35:31 pm »

Talking of the send to external tool eh... tool :) has anybody got this to succesfully work sending more than one file??  If I select a number of files and then right click and ask it to send to winamp only the first file is sent.  This is also true if I ruight click on a playlist...only the first file is sent and the same for right clicking on an album in the tree view.  I guess this is probably down to the way I have configured the external file tool s for winamp...Anyone who has set this up successfully who could give me a hand here??

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2002, 07:58:47 am »

See, in my suggestion, you wouldn't be using the database in BPM Studio. It would only play the playlist that you put together in MJ.

If you had read my post completely, you would have seen that.

An Nila makes me laugh. He keeps pushing for more and more features, all integrated into the main interface, and then makes big long posts about how he can't figure things out in MJ as they stand already.

Why make a product more complicated if you already can't figure out how to use it? Especially when the feature your asking for is going to benefit a very limited number of people.

MJ is a kitchen-sink application. It's a jack-of-all trades, master of none. Even though it does what it does very well, it still isn't a specialty piece of software. Specialty pieces of software exist that do what you want, and how much do they cost? The Private Edition of BPM Studio goes for $129. And you expect J River to give you that functionality for only $25?

nila

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2002, 01:15:09 pm »

Hey, Glad I make u smile. That's what's important in life, keeping a smile on ur face and a happy heart.
Features are what make users love software. Ease of use is what makes them want to put the effort into finding out about the features. It takes both to make software amazing.

Also, if you notice, a LOT of posts on the forums are about how to use features or about 'bugs' that are just actually not understanding a feature. It just seems sensible to me to try save people having to ask these questions as for everyone one person that asks, there are probably more who just dont ask and either live with it 'not working' how they want it, or just give up on MJ altogether.

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2002, 01:44:19 am »

After 185 reads, I wanted to ask again, if there is enough user-interest in Crossfading that it might get added to MC!

Would be really cool to see that here, baby!

Raist

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2002, 08:58:45 am »

More than 30 hits later still no reply :(

Just give me one word, so that I have merry christmas:

YES OR NO ??

Please try to understand me, wanting the feature so much that I can't sleep peacefully without knowing if there is a future for this in MC/MJ!

Thanks
Raist

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2002, 09:33:28 am »

Experience tells me that you may not get an answer. I dont mean that as a slur, just that I think in general JRiver dont make themselves hostages to fortune. They get a LOT of requests. Sometimes these things just appear, even though the impression is that they are a long way off, eg multi-zone playback. So - no news is good news, right?

FWIW personally Im not bothered about complex crossfading features, but I think in interface terms your point 2 about a graphical way of setting crossfading is exactly whats required.

Sleep well :)

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2003, 03:26:59 am »

Still no news on advanced cross-fading?

Or even the possibility to change the fade-settings without restarting playback?? That would be really enough as first instance, and I was told that is not so hard to apply this, only a question of resource-managment.

Thanks
Raist

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2003, 08:27:13 am »

>> Experience tells me that you may not get an answer.
Diddo

It might be Cool but it may not be on the black board
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2003, 08:05:56 pm »

Just noticed that 1. is already done in build 114, YEAH GREAT!! Now I can change fade-settings without restart.

Thanks guys.
What about 2.&3., will they be added too?? Especially 2 would be really useful, making the possibility to switch fading during playback much faster (less clicks).

Third thing would bring MJ to top-level of DJ-tools, offering all different types of fading in an easy interface.

Please think about it. Don't forget, BPM Studio is the most used DJ-tool now. WHY? For sure not because of it's database, MJ is superior. SO WHY? Because of it's absolutely simple & most expandable fade-settings.

Thanks
Raist

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2003, 04:32:07 am »

Just noticed that 1. is already done in build 114, YEAH GREAT!! Now I can change fade-settings without restart.

It will only sort of work.  If you change it too much, you need a restart so the fade buffer can get recreated at the right length.

About more customizable fading, we may do it, but not for 9.0.  For now, Doof's idea of using the "Send To -> BPM" is your best bet.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up