INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver vs. eARC  (Read 500 times)

MartiNation

• Recent member
JRiver vs. eARC
« on: September 13, 2023, 04:53:56 am »

When connected to AVR with HDMI, could it somehow be possible to utilize ARC/eARC return communication to control the volume directly on the AVR.  This solution could be most convenient when bitstreaming audio  8)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver vs. eARC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 05:43:48 am »

Unfortunately GPUs don't implement/expose the HDMI-CEC protocol that is used to control other devices in the HDMI chain. Not that I have ever been able to find out, anyway.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 07:15:54 am »

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 08:26:55 am »

Maybe something like this:
https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter

FWIW, I do use one of these Pulse Eight devices, and have done for a long time. It still works "quite well" but would have preferred to ditch it in my currently ongoing re-vamp. IMO, it's just one more minor component that can (will?) some day go wrong. So all I use it for its to turn my TV screen *off*. Turning on is via Wake-on-Lan; and checking the power status is via an IP Ping. but my TV (LG) has an encrypted proprietary LAN API, so my only way to turn it off is via CEC (or I guess I could use a smart power switch).

But for the volume control, I always leave MC at 100% and separately and explicitly control the AVR's volume through its REST API. And eARC is one of the available AVR inputs that I can use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up