INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import Discnumber  (Read 632 times)

ruwi

• Recent member
Import Discnumber
« on: September 24, 2023, 05:59:31 am »

Importing the metadata of my CDs and my FLAC files worked fine with MC 31 with one exception. I numbered my CDs or FLAC files as follows: e.g. C507 for CD; F124 for an album I downloaded from Amazon Music. If I change the metadata C507 in the file to 507, MC 31 reads it in without any problems with the help of the library field "Disc #". However, this field only accepts integers.
I have created a new library field and selected String as the data format. As keywords, I have disc=; disk=; di=. I didn't achieve any success. The requested data was not imported. Even if I create a new field that is structured in the same way as the library field "Disc #", this field, unlike the original field, does not even read the changed metadata like 507.
Is there a way to set MC 31 so that my – as shown above – numbered disc information can also imported.
Thank you for your help

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Import Discnumber
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 09:10:11 am »

Everything from the file/folder group can be parsed if it is structured in some systematic way.
You could post some example complete filepath to give a better undrestanding of your filenaming system and also what do you wan to achieve with the tag.

From your post I get the idea that you have numbered all your cd's and downloaded albums. Disc # is not meant to hold that kind of data but it contains disc number of the multi disc album so If my guess was correct you'd anyway would need new field(s) to hold your cd number data.

ruwi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 10:46:36 am »

My operating system is Windows 10. All my CDs are numbered, e.g. C001 by J.J. Cale to C901 by Titanic. Double CDs are named like this: C582A and C582B. Albums that I have via download are named like this: F001; F002, etc. What would the field have to be like to bring this data to JRiver Media and be able to display it in a column. I would be grateful, if you could show me the structure of such a field, since the disc numbers contain letters and numbers. The Music-Bee program had no problems reading these disc numbers. Because of the better sound, I switched to JRiver.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 11:28:16 am »

If you could give that example of COMPLETE file path for one file you have like "c:\music\Beatles\Help!\01 - Beatles - Help!.mp3" From that we can try to make an import rule or template for read tags from filename tool. you can copy that to here from for example [filename] field

ruwi

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 11:43:54 am »

Here is an example of a complete file path: "E:\Music_KANN\B\Beatles\05_Help_2009\02-The Night Before.flac"

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 12:23:55 pm »

Okay so that cd/amazon number is only in the metadata and not in the filename. Others can correct me if I'm mistaken but I don't think that MC is able to import non numeric values from disc number tag.

You could use something like foobar2000 (which supports text in the disc #) to copy that tag data into some other user tag which can then be created as string field in MC. That kind of solution is only one I can think of right now

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2023, 02:44:26 pm »

The ID3 tag for DISKNUMBER (TPOS - Part of Set) is actually defined as a string. I understand having Disk # as a integer for sorting, but it would be nice for MC to somehow handle TPOS as defined.

ruwi

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 01:20:34 am »

Attached is a screenshot of MusicBee, where you can see in the column Disc No. that this program can very well read this metadata and display it in a column. Why can't JRiver do this? It wouldn't be bad if JRiver could have such a feature in the future.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 01:29:14 am »

The tag probably has a different name.  You can add any tag to MC.  See the wiki for details.

The name must match exactly, including case.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 07:17:07 am »

The tag probably has a different name.  You can add any tag to MC.  See the wiki for details.

The name must match exactly, including case.

The ID3 specification calls for TPOS (Part of Set) to be a string. If MC is using TPOS for Disc # then it should be a string. If MC is using something else for Disc #, then maybe a new tag that maps to TPOS could be added.  I don't think users can define a new variable that points to a ID3 tag by name.  And, as I stated above, I understand the desire to have Disc # as an integer.  Something to look into.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 08:34:00 am »

It seems that you can double dip. To test this I used foobar2000 to update disc # tag to cd1 and then in MC created a new field called DISCNUMBER and ran update library from tags and cd1 was updated to my new field. Disc # field stayed empty as it only supports numbers. If I add number in foobar2000 then both fields get updated in MC when doing update from tags.

So I think that solution for OP is to create user field DISCNUMBER and then do update from tags. Try with few files first

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2023, 08:56:14 am »

DISCNUMBER is a ID3 tag listed in Tag Dump and generally, I think, maps to TPOS.  Perhaps DISCNUMBER could be added to MC as default string field.  So, I guess the question is how all of these map to disc# in MC.   My guess (pure guess) is that disc# is reading DISCNUMBER (TPOS) and converting it to integer and is leaving it blank if it is not an integer. If so, both integer and string forms should be available. I do know that changing disc# changes DISCNUMBER in Tag Dump.

ruwi

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2024, 05:03:36 am »

Some have come forward on this topic, but it is still not possible for JRiver to read my assigned disk numbers (see attachment - e.g. C103B) and display them in a column. I was hoping for a new library field to be added to JRiver. In the meantime, even after several updates and the new version 32, nothing has happened. Besides, I might not be the only one who names his CDs with letters and numbers. Other programs, such as Foobar 2000 or MusicBee, do not have any problems displaying the disc numbers as strings.
If I change the disk number from C913 to 913, the DISK# library field can detect this and also represent it. If I create a new library field DISK# and use the same parameters as in the library field DISK#, JRiver doesn't show anything. What's going wrong here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2024, 07:02:11 am »

The disc # is an integer.  You can set up a custom field.  Read about tagging on our wiki.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2024, 12:04:33 pm »

Create a new library field DISCNUMBER. That will read and write to the DISCNUMBER tag in the files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up