INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Befuddled - Duration Not Correct after shotening a song  (Read 301 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
Befuddled - Duration Not Correct after shotening a song
« on: October 17, 2023, 12:32:11 am »

I have occasionally been shortening existing songs on MC for years (cutting out the applause on live tracks, for example) and have always had (I thought) the duration correcting when I did a reanalyze.  My latest shortening did not shorten the time when I reanalyzed (31.0.69); it did change the leveling values, so I know it reanalyzed.  When I play the file in MC, the play area shows the correct time.  Have I somehow forgotten a step to update the database or what?  Or has it never updated?  How does one get the correct duration after editing?

Edit process.  The song is  in the Mc database at the MC database location.  I shorten it with an external editor and save to the same filename/location.  I then reanalyze.

Update: After testing more songs, the old process is working fine except for one song.  The duration is automatically updated a few seconds after the song is shortened and saved (no reanalyzing necessary), except for one song.  I went back to that song and edited it again, this time adding a second of silence.  When I saved the song again, the duration was updated to the correct length.  Any thoughts as to why the duration was not updated the first time?  Was it likely an anomaly I can ignore?
John

blgentry

Re: Befuddled - Duration Not Correct after shotening a song
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 08:55:33 am »

When you make external changes to files that MC has imported, you are effectively pulling the table cloth out from under the dishes.  This is not a normal mode of operation for MC.  This isn't a big deal or anything.

As I understand it, the proper way to tell MC to update a file is to use Tools > Library Tools > Update Library (from tags) .  However, be aware that this re-reads the metadata tags inside the file:  Album, Artist, Name, etc.  So, if you have made edits to those fields and they are NOT saved inside the file, your MC values will be overwritten with the values that are in the files. 

I use the MC option that writes all tags back to the files as soon as they are changed.  MC is my "library master" so I want the files in sync with MC's values.

All that said, I would have expected that doing Analyze Audio on an edited file would update its duration as well as the various audio dynamics fields.  I'm fairly sure that Update Library (from tags) updates EVERYTHING.  I have occasionally had to do this when I pulled the table cloth out from under my Library.  :)

Best of luck to you,
Brian.

jack wallstreet

Re: Befuddled - Duration Not Correct after shotening a song
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 09:08:48 am »

Thank you.  I had forgotten about the "update library from tags."   Mostly the library is updated automatically a few seconds after I overwrite the old version with the new version, but it seems once in awhile, that doesn't happen for "duration."   "Update library from tags" fixes that problem when it occurs.  Thanks again.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up