INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving location of music files  (Read 670 times)

Orac

• Recent member
Moving location of music files
« on: October 25, 2023, 04:09:01 pm »

Hi All,

At present my music files are stored on my Windows 11 PC but I'm running out of space so I'm going to move them to a new location on a NAS drive and map a drive letter to the new location.
The problem is that I would like to keep the date imported intact so is there a way to edit the existing library to point to the new location? If I re-create the library by importing from the new location, the original date imported will be lost. Is this possible in any way?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Moving location of music files
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 04:29:57 pm »

You can use MC's Library Tool called Rename, Move & Copy to move the files.  Please see the wiki topic called Moving Files.

Orac

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 04:44:42 pm »

Thanks, I will go read up on it.

Orac

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 10:49:42 am »

I've had a go using the Rename, Move & Copy tool but it is not working as I expected, unless of course I'm missing something, which is quite likely!

I'm trying to move files from one location on my PC to another location on a NAS.

On my PC, the source files are in directories sorted sorted by name, on a local hard disk, for example ...
G:\flac\E\Export\1980 - Reading Rock (Tape)

and I'm trying to copy them to the following location, a mapped drive to a location on the NAS ...
Z:\flac\E\Export\1980 - Reading Rock (Tape)

What happens is I get a copy but the directory structure is lost, so I end up with ...
Z:\Export - Reading Rock 1980 - 01 Rockin' For You.flac
Z:\Export - Reading Rock 1980 - 02 Wheeler Dealer.flac

etc. All the files are in the root directory

Is it possible to do what I'm wanting?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 12:10:41 pm »

Many people find it easier to simply use Windows Explorer to move the files and then use RMC to just change the path, for example from G: to Z:

Orac

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 12:11:46 pm »

Thanks for that suggestion, I'll look into that.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 12:28:35 pm »

Many people find it easier to use Windows Explorer to move the files and then use RMC to just change the path, for example from G: to Z:
People often do that, but it's definitely not easier.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 03:40:45 pm »

The problem is that I would like to keep the date imported intact so is there a way to edit the existing library to point to the new location? If I re-create the library by importing from the new location, the original date imported will be lost. Is this possible in any way?
The only method I trust to guarantee the original import dates are always preserved is to create a custom field for them that has nothing to do with the operating system (I use [date acquired]).  The small downside is you must enter the value "by hand" whenever you import a new album.

To get started in your case, you would create the field and then populate it in one fell swoop by doing a field value copy from your existing date imported field, all before you move or remap anything.  If you define the new field with "Save in file tags (when possible)" checked, then it will likely trigger a re-write of all your media files, but I would say it is worth the effort.

Of course do a good MC backup before messing around with any of this stuff.  If possible, also back up your media files.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 04:18:39 pm »

1.  Get some sort of file syncing tool to copy your files, with no modifications to their dates, times, etc, over to the new location on the NAS.  Make sure you have them copied correctly.  Do a some testing to reassure yourself.
2.  Make an MC backup of the database:  File > Library > Backup library .  Take note of where this file is saved.
3.  Use the RM&C tool in UPDATE DATABASE mode.
  A.  Use the find and replace template to change the drive letter.  Something like :
       Find:  G:\
       Replace:  Z:\
  B.  Look at the preview window and make sure that your find and replace is doing what you want it to do.
  C.  Press OK when you are sure.

For step 3 above, you might want to try doing just one album first.  Then do some more.  Then do them all when you are sure.

If you get things messed up, use the backup you made in step #2 above to restore MC's database.

I've used this method, mostly on my Macs, dozens of times.  It works nearly flawlessly.  As far as I know, the only things that won't be updated via this method are:
*  Particles
*  SACD ISOs individual tracks
*  CUE file based albums

Other than that, your library should work the same as before, just on a different drive.

Best of luck,
Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 04:46:18 pm »

Yes, as Brian says, if you move the files outside of MC, be sure to use the Update Database option rather than the Rename option and then use the Find and Replace option at the bottom to change the drive, otherwise it can try to move the file again.

Orac

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 02:32:25 am »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, as always there are many ways to boil an egg!

I have done it now by simply renaming the original drive to another letter (G:\ -> T:\) and mapping the new location to the original drive letter (\\MARVIN\music\ -> G:\) and voila! It works.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 07:03:29 am »

Great!  Good solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up