INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WoL questions  (Read 325 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
WoL questions
« on: November 01, 2023, 10:55:35 am »

I have never used WoL before but would like to set it up. I read the Wiki and linked thread but it is >10 years old. My last HTPC is also >10 years old and WoL was not supported. This is my first attempt to get it working.

What I would like to do is wake my HTPC (Intel NUC13) from my phone with either MC or MO4. My first question is how does it actually work? When the computer is off it doesn't show up as a Zone to play to. What is the normal behavior?

I googled how to enable WoL on my HTPC and as far as I can tell I have it setup properly in the BIOS and W11. In the router I have reserved the IP and opened port 9 in the router settings. My eero router may be part of the problem. I have read that it does not officially support WoL but doesn't actively block it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: WoL questions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 11:25:12 am »

I am no expert, but this is my understanding of WoL.
When a device is asleep it is not visible on the network by your router, in that it will not have an entry in the ARP table.
That is if you send something to the device by name or IP address your router will not know where to send it.
So, to wake a device you have to broadcast a message (magic packet) throughout the local network, targeted at the MAC address of the network interface of the device.
This will only work inside your local network, i.e. it does not work across the internet without using complicated network tricks. (You cannot broadcast magic packets throughout the internet and have your router pick it up and rebroadcast it to all the devices on your local network).
If you use JRemote and enter your MC Access Key this will give JRemote your HTPCs MAC address to be able to wake it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up