Networks and Remotes > Remotes

Chromecast Audio & WiiM Pro Plus

<< < (4/6) > >>

JimH:
For DLNA use, our IdPi would also be a good choice.  Connected to a DAC or receiver, you can play to it from MC and/or control it from a phone or other computer.

madbrain:

--- Quote from: markf2748 on November 06, 2023, 12:48:14 am ---Thanks for all the detailed reporting on Wiim Pro Plus.  I'm pretty much limited to "redbook" 16-bit 44.1KHz, which I'm glad to hear you report works fine.

--- End quote ---

You're welcome.

--- Quote ---Just a reminder that in Win 10/11 you can pause updates for up to 5 weeks (35 days), if that helps.  I don't know if pausing eliminates all problems, but it's free to try.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, that is very helpful !

--- Quote ---Re your experience of sudden loud volume white noise, MC has a setting Audio > Volume > Volume Protection.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Volume_Protection
Not sure it will protect you 100%, but may be worth checking that box while experimenting.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

--- Quote ---Re any tests involving Android apps, there may be differences between MO 4Media and JRemote2 (I am personally biased towards favoring the former).  For example, in my limited casting with JRemote2 it indicates "Transcoding 320 kbps MP3" at the bottom of the player window, while other apps as least show flac 44.1-16bit.  In any case, if you are not doing it already, then I'd suggest first testing Wiim DLNA directly from the MC server before bringing any Android app or casting into the loop.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. As far as the white noise issue is concerned, I experienced it even when initiating playback directly from MC31 for Windows, selecting the Wiim DLNA source under "playing now". So, I don't think it's remote-related.

madbrain:

--- Quote from: madbrain on November 05, 2023, 01:27:29 am ---There is also a very annoying fade-in / fade-out at the start/end of each track. Most inappropriate for classical. Not sure if there is a setting in the Wiim or Qobuz app to disable it - I haven't found it.

--- End quote ---

WiiM support found it for me - glad I was able to get rid of these. They responded to several other tickets as well, including the one about native DSD support, about which they said they were working on it, but they didn't provide a timetable.

madbrain:

--- Quote from: rec head on November 06, 2023, 07:42:42 am ---Using Audible I have to cast my phone because the app doesn't support CC but it is hassle free.

--- End quote ---

I have been using "cast my audio" CC feature for years as well, but found it unreliable. After some random amount of time, from a few minutes to tens of minutes, some jitter is introduced, and all audio audio remains jittery afterwards, with the only option being to stop and restart casting. Not hassle-free for me, sadly. It may be caused by some oddity with the 5 Unifi access points I'm using, only 2 of which are wired directly with Ethernet, and 3 wirelessly meshed. By comparison, casting directly from an app has different problems - some apps fail to cast, and of course there are gaps, but never jitter.

--- Quote --- I have also cast music from MO4 and MC without issue. Using them as DLNA zones works well too. I find that having a CC group made for the speakers is easier than using the Wiim app to group them.

--- End quote ---

How hard is it to group in the Wiim home app ? I can't test this due to having only one Wiim device so far.
Do the Wiim speaker groups persist ? And do you get a DLNA renderer for the groups, so you can use them in MC ?

--- Quote ---A funny note about the Wiim app is that it is just the generic app for the chipset or something. Other brands of streaming boxes use the same app.

--- End quote ---

Interesting. That's not good news WRT Wiim's ability to implement new features/fix bugs in the app. At the very least means some delay to deal with the third party who implements the app.

madbrain:

--- Quote from: madbrain on November 06, 2023, 12:41:09 pm ---Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

--- End quote ---

Since the volume protection is not part of DSP studio, I don't think it actually applies to on-the-fly DSD to PCM transcoding. Does it ? Edit: I enabled it, and unfortunately reproduced the white noise problem on the 4th track of an album. This time I was playing DSF files, transcoded to 24 bits/192k on the fly. I didn't use JRemote2, just MC on Windows, so I think remote does not play a part here in this problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version