Networks and Remotes > Remotes

Chromecast Audio & WiiM Pro Plus

<< < (5/6) > >>

rec head:

--- Quote from: madbrain on November 06, 2023, 12:57:22 pm ---
How hard is it to group in the Wiim home app ? I can't test this due to having only one Wiim device so far.
Do the Wiim speaker groups persist ? And do you get a DLNA renderer for the groups, so you can use them in MC ?

Interesting. That's not good news WRT Wiim's ability to implement new features/fix bugs in the app. At the very least means some delay to deal with the third party who implements the app.

--- End quote ---

It is not hard at all to link the devices in the Wiim app. It is the speed and reliability of the linking that is in question. I'm coming from using Arylic streaming boxes that use the same app but their grouping was garbage. The Wiims are much better and I don't think I've had any problems but I think I still have a sour taste from using the app. I do believe the groups are persistent but I'm not 100% sure. Even when it is working at its best I still think that having CC groups is easier and faster. My use case is to have one group with all three devices or just one device at a time. I never need multiple different groups at the same time. I think your situation may be a bit more complex.

I just tested linking two of the Wiims and then used JRemote to play music via DLNA. It worked.

The app and devices have gotten regular updates.

madbrain:

--- Quote from: rec head on November 07, 2023, 06:43:18 am ---Even when it is working at its best I still think that having CC groups is easier and faster.

--- End quote ---

CC and CC groups have one common problem, which is the lack of gapless support. That is my main reason for buying the WiiM Pro Plus.

CCs also do not work reliably for me in all apps. One day they work, and the next day they don't. I haven't been able to figure out why, unfortunately. Seems to be something network related, but I'm at a loss.

--- Quote ---My use case is to have one group with all three devices or just one device at a time. I never need multiple different groups at the same time. I think your situation may be a bit more complex.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it's a bit more complex. Some devices may belong to more than one group. For example, I have one group called "Downstairs audio", another "Upstairs audio", and one "Indoors audio" which is the combination of downstairs/upstairs devices. Ie. I have some devices that belong to multiple groups. Does the WiiM home allow that ?

--- Quote ---I just tested linking two of the Wiims and then used JRemote to play music via DLNA. It worked.

--- End quote ---

Great !

--- Quote ---The app and devices have gotten regular updates.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have seen that. I just wonder if they have to run things by a 3rd party developer to fix the bugs. I am a software engineer and have worked with 3rd parties - it slowed things down because multiple companies don't have the same priorities.

bob:

--- Quote from: madbrain on November 04, 2023, 11:12:41 pm ---Responding to myself - a few more things. The Wiim app only works in portrait mode. Found that out the hard way on my tablet with its keyboard case, which is normally in landscape mode. Too bad, the keyboard comes really handy in searches, but I'm not going to rotate my head 90 degrees to use this app. Unfortunately the Samsung tab S9 ultra keyboard case only supports landscape.
At least the Qobuz app works in landscape mode, as does JRemote2.

Speaking of remotes, since that is the subject of this forum, I saw a few odd instances with all the remote apps. Sometimes they showed the wrong album/track name, but the correct timeline, and the controls worked. The track names weren't fixed when switching to the next track. Very odd.
It looks like I can reproduce the following way :
1) play an album from MC31 onto the WiiM using JRemote2
2) use the WiiM app to play an album from Qobuz on the Wiim
3) go back to JRemote2. It's still showing track names from the album from step 1. But the play controls work, track number updates, time updates as well. Even the track name changes, but to the track number from the other album. Not sure what happens if there is a disjoint number of tracks between the 2 albums and one goes "past the end". I just tried it actually. Played a 7 track organ album in step 1, up to track 3, and a 32 track piano album in step 3. Played track 12 on that second album. Then when I went back to JRemote2, it was still showing that it was the track 3 on the organ album, but with the time scale of the piano album, while hearing track 12 of the piano album. I use JRemote to skip tracks, and it went to track 4 of the organ album and played it. Anyway, there seems to be an issue with data not updating correctly when using the Wiim from multiple apps.

I also saw another situation where playback wasn't gapless with the wiim receiver, even though I was careful to select the DLNA receiver and not the built-in Chromecast. Not sure what that was about. I switch to another remote and the same album played gapless.

Lastly, after stopping playback in one remote, a few seconds later, the playback started again, presumably because of another remote app.

So, for now, I uninstalled MO4 Media and BubbleUPNP Android app from my tablet. I may uninstall them from my phone too. I also uninstalled the BubbleUPNP server on Windows. I'll keep just JRemote2 for browsing/playing my MC31 server content. It works well both on the phone and tablet, and on my WLAN and VPN.

--- End quote ---
There is no support in the DLNA protocol for multiple controllers.
When MC detects that a different controller has taken control of the rendering device, it stops being the controller and simply queries the device like every other non-controlled DLNA device for it's current status.

madbrain:

--- Quote from: bob on November 07, 2023, 08:48:03 pm ---There is no support in the DLNA protocol for multiple controllers.
When MC detects that a different controller has taken control of the rendering device, it stops being the controller and simply queries the device like every other non-controlled DLNA device for it's current status.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. I did not know that. I think I must have run into some sort of race condition when using the multiple remote apps. Maybe one of the apps failed to detect that it was no longer the controller. Or it decided to become the controller and start playback after I hit stop in the controller, for some reason. Just not sure, but it was disconcerting to press stop in one app and then hear playback resume all on its own a few seconds later. I don't even know which of the other remote apps initiated the resume, since I had 3 remote apps installed. I can say that it hasn't happened again since I went down to 1 remote app - JRemote2.

rec head:
The Wiims allow you to link devices but AFAIK you can't create fixed groups. So every time you want to play to certain devices you need to link them. They should be persistent until a Wiim is powered off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version