INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frame drops with JRVR in HDR passthrough with nVidia 3090 (3xxx and 4xxx series)  (Read 3972 times)

rpro

• Recent member

No framedrops while playing the 2.5 hour movie overnight (1440p119hz over HDMI to gaming monitor, audio sent over another HDMI port (1080p60) to AVR separately). With GPU clocks min/max fixed etc as I described above. Next step is to test a 2+ hour 4K movie on the TV at 2160p119.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

I'll play a movie overnight and look at the JRVR csv file in the morning to see if any frames got dropped/repeated.

I have noticed (and reported to Hendrik via beta team) that enabling JRVR Option>Advanced>Debugging>Log Frame Timing can actually cause frame drops.
I would strongly suggest that you disable that option if you are chasing frame drops and rely on the OSD.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

rpro

• Recent member

Okay, noted!

kalston

• Recent member

Not convinced that clocks and power savings have anything to do with it. I have let nvidia manage clocks automatically for a long time now, and it was never the cause of the video playback glitches. Cards like the 3090 or 4090 just have so much power than even with their 2D clocks video playback is a trivial task unless running very heavy upscaling/processing.

In my experience nvidia has been tuning the clocks extremely well for the last 2 gens at least, even with the most CPU limited games I could find (where the GPU downclocks like mad) forcing "max performance" did not help with smoothness or anything, it only increased power draw, with zero benefit. I see the same with video playback. The clocks fluctuate as needed by the application yes, but it's so responsive and smooth it causes no issues, even though the render times can fluctuate dramatically sometimes (but with those cards I have too much headroom to care about render times). Very often I play games where my 4090 stays in fanless mode, sometimes it's switching between modes while playing too but that's still not noticeable in actual gameplay - frametimes are flat and perceived smoothness is perfect (using VRR and framerate cap). You have to be monitoring the clocks or the fans (or your ears) to notice.

I currently am using JRVR and HDR passthrough (4090, Win 11, LG CX at 120hz with HDMI) and have no issues (ironically madVR passthrough has been broken for me ever since I installed Win 11, it causes occasional "rainbow" glitches with HDR content - which is why I set up JRVR in the first place since I was fine with my old setup). I am one or two NV drivers revision behind though (I update them based on the games I am currently playing, or if there is a fix for an issue I have).

But yes I have had video playback glitches too (stutters or repeated frames etc.) several times over the years. It was always just some silly thing that got fixed by upgrading or downgrading video drivers. The exact same thing that happens with some games.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

I have plans for a different presentation mode that should be less dependent on "real-time" rendering from GPUs and hopefully offer better stability over small performance hiccups.

What I can't really say anything on right now is long dropouts, which seem to be driven by something on the audio side. We're looking into that, but I see people reporting similar issues when just watching Netflix in their browser or such, so it might be out of our reach.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

zack

• Recent member

this thread is crazy long and way too technical fir me o benefit from it. i just want my movies to stop pausing every 5 seconds (not exaggerating). can someone please walk me through how to fix this? all i do is watch movies off of my ssd no streaming or vr.  thanks in advance for any help

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

this thread is crazy long and way too technical fir me o benefit from it. i just want my movies to stop pausing every 5 seconds (not exaggerating). can someone please walk me through how to fix this? all i do is watch movies off of my ssd no streaming or vr.  thanks in advance for any help

How about creating a new thread about your issue instead of hijacking this one? It has nothing to do with the issue raised in this thread, which you might have realised if you had read its title.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen

Thought I'd post a quick update on something I noticed tonight regarding the issue(s) in this thread.

I'd been using Nividia driver 532.03 for my 3060 per Manni's suggestion somewhere above and have had no dropped or repeated frames in JRVR for a few weeks now with it doing the tone mapping (i.e., "Use the display's HDR capability for HDR videos (if available)" is unchecked).

Tonight, when I updated Windows (a cumulative update to 22H2), there was on option through Windows Update to update "Nvidia - Display," which apparently installed driver version 537.70. After, just to see if this more recent driver worked or not, I watched an entire 4K episode of a show (about 53 minutes) and had 0 dropped or repeated frames. 

In looking at my driver update history in Windows Update, it looks like there was one of these "Nvidia - Display" updates last week (on December 6th) too, and as I said, I haven't had any dropped/repeated frames since I installed the older driver noted above; I'm not sure, however, if that 12/6 update changed the driver, as I didn't notice the update in the first place, nor had I looked at the driver version in a while before tonight.

At any rate, maybe a secret with Nvidia drivers is to let Windows install them via this "Nvidia - Display" thing and not go through Nvidia itself? At least for us non-gamers?

I also see in the list of older drivers on the Nvidia site that 537.70 isn't listed. Not sure what that means.

Anyway, FYI.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen

As you're NOT using HDR passthrough (and assuming you're not using a HDMI 2.0 input on an AVR with a HDMI 2.1 GPU either, which causes a black screen at 4K24 in 10/12bits with recent drivers) there is no need to use an older driver with JRVR.
The bug reported in this thread only happens when using HDR passthrough (i.e., "Use the display's HDR capability for HDR videos (if available)" is checked).
What happens with any driver is the long audio/video dropout after 1-2 hours, but that happens with any driver and isn't specific to JRVR, even though Hendrik said they were looking at it (which is appreciated).
So you could really install the latest driver and be done with it :)

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen

@Manni,

I actually had the frame drop/repeat problem with both JRVR doing the tone mapping and with passthrough, and the older Nvidia drivers seemed to solve that problem for me. At any rate, tonight I'll try it with passthrough enabled to see if there's any difference with this new driver I noted in my post last night.

zoom+slomo

• Junior Woodchuck

I have plans for a different presentation mode that should be less dependent on "real-time" rendering from GPUs and hopefully offer better stability over small performance hiccups.

What I can't really say anything on right now is long dropouts, which seem to be driven by something on the audio side. We're looking into that, but I see people reporting similar issues when just watching Netflix in their browser or such, so it might be out of our reach.
I'm trying to follow this with my limited knowledge/hands on as best I can, but I wonder if there would be little if any dropouts if HDMI and/or Displayport video only ports can be used, so that the audio was fed separately via SPDIF (albeit stereo only) or USB (potentially multichannel). 

rpro

• Recent member

As an update - I don't seem to get the frame drops anymore - or at least not reported by JRVR.

However, I do get extreme swings in reported VSYNC measurements, which manifests as frames appearing too quickly or too slowly. They are visually apparent. My workaround when this occurs is to maximize and minimize the Display view, pause the video right click to bring up the popup menu, then close the popup menu, and otherwise fiddle with the jriver user interface. Eventually, something "snaps" and then the vsync becomes stable, and the frames stop become a jumble.

One way to also see this without straining your eyes is to install MSI Afterburner with Rivatuner Statistics server enabled. Then configure the OSD to show the frame time graph. The graph should be almost completely flat. If it starts wobbling up and down, then that means the frame pacing is unstable.

I haven't had time to take screenshots of this frame time graph, but it should be easy to duplicate once you figure out how to configure MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner OSD stats (it is not easy to get that working).

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

delete.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up