INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-Primary 4k Display = Downscaling + Primary Graphic Usage Pegged?  (Read 267 times)

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck

SUMMARY
Been using MC since v15, currently running v25-28, testing 30-31 (both latest avail as of yesterday) now that I just bought my first 4k OLED TV (LG C3) and diving into HDR.  I have several displays attached to my server (win10) and only one of them is 4k (the new TV mentioned) which is NOT primary (for good reason).  Mboard intel hdmi is primary, Nvidia card GTX950 hdmi is connected to a receiver (Onkyo TX-RZ730) which is connected to the OLED TV.  HDR OS windows setting is turned off, read this is recommended.

Q1
Quoting Hendrik:
“The OSD is likely not wrong. One reason for that happening is if the OS is scaling MC, instead of MC being rendered at full resolution. This might happen if you have multiple displays connected, and only one is UHD - you can potentially resolve that by making the UHD one the primary display. Or it can happen if you use display settings to change resolution while MC is already running, we would recommend to only change refresh rate.”
Testing using both v30 and v31 with recommended red October JRVR with HDR passthru.
If I set the “scale and layout” (change the size of text, apps, and other items) to 100% on the OLED 4k TV then no problems, however if I set it to 200% then JR downscales to 1080P.  Is there anyway to prevent downscaling if I set it to 200%.  Reason for the question is it’s impossible to read text across the living room when set to 100%.

Q2
When watching a movie on the OLED TV using either v30 or v31 I observe the mboard intel video graphics being maxed out while the Nvidia card that is feeding the TV running at around 25%.  Why is the mboard intel graphics being pegged much less being used in this situation?  When I stop the movie graphic usage stops on both.

Q3
If using red October standard, is it possible to see what’s being inputted and outputted like when using JRVR and the ctrl-J method (believe this is called “debug OSD”)?  Another way perhaps?  My concern is like my first question, how do I know if what I’m seeing on the screen is in fact 4k and not being downscaled?  I use core commands to control MC but have yet to find a command that does what ctrl-J does.  Regardless, If I’m using red October standard and my “scale and layout” settings for the TV are at 200%, should I encounter the same problem as mentioned earlier in that in this situation should the movie being played be downscaled to 1080P or is it 4k?

FINAL COMMENTS
My server is old, 6700K (6th gen), and serves many purposes.  The thought of rebuilding is nauseating but may wind up doing so.  In the meantime, I have a spare 11th gen box with win10 I plan to do some testing with this weekend to see how things go with v30-v31 connected to the new TV.  Will report back upon doing so.

Thanks for your time.

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Non-Primary 4k Display = Downscaling + Primary Graphic Usage Pegged?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 09:28:48 am »

UPDATE
After seeing all the additional options for HDR in v30 and v31 went ahead and purchased and am now running v31 for the new OLED TV.  Bought a RTX 3060, disabled the internal intel graphics via the bios, have the default display (monitor in kitchen) and the OLED TV (livingrm) both plugged into the RTX 3060 (primary pcie slot).  Have 2 more displays connected to a GTX 950 (secondary pcie slot).  Observations:

1.   Same as Q2 above…  Even when just playing a movie using red October standard on one of the displays using the GTX 950, the graphic usage goes from zero to 20% or more on the other card RTX 3060.  Can someone explain why the default display card is being utilized in this scenario?

2.   Currently have the OS HDR setting enabled (win10).  What are the pros and cons to using this approach vs. turning off and letting JR turn on and off?  At one point when I was doing it this way after the movie stopped the screen went solid blue and had to do something (can’t remember) to get the screen back to normal.  Using the OS HDR setting appears to have solved this random issue but I question if there is some benefit I’m missing going with this approach?

3.   99% of all the movies (iso files made from mkv) are 24fps.  Is it worthwhile to adjust a setting somewhere such that the output matches this framerate or just leave alone?

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up