INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skip bottom file pane in categories view  (Read 215 times)

Buldarged

• Recent member
Skip bottom file pane in categories view
« on: November 17, 2023, 03:39:01 pm »

Currently, I'm using the file list view type very often, while using a thumbnail list style. But some of the views have too many items, which is why I'd like to use a category view, where the first level is the year and the second level shows the files. While I've achieved it quite simply by adding year and filename into a categories view configuration, I do always have to traverse an 'extra level'. I click on a year, then on a file and then the bottom pane shows up, which always contains only a single file, which I have to click again.

The bottom pane, which contains all the files is generally very useful for albums or when the last category level still contains file groups. However, if the last category level only shows individual files (which I think is quite common) it is superfluous and requires an unnecessary extra interaction from the user.

Interestingly, when I enable the tree browsing support option and select a year in the tree, I get exactly what I'd like to have, which is basically a filtered file list view. In this view, there is no bottom pane and opening files works with a simple doubleclick. Additionally it allows for grouping as well as having the option of the "Tiles" list style. While this solution works great, I'd much prefer not having to resort to tree browsing.

The question now is, if there is already some way to get what I'd like to have. MC is quite complex and I don't know much about the possibilities that expressions and special functionalities allow for in category views. I hope a MC Guru is able to help me out with this problem.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: Skip bottom file pane in categories view
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 07:55:51 pm »

When you browse to that last category level and hover over thumbnail, do you not see "Play tag menu" pop-up at the bottom of the thumbnail?  You can just click on play to begin the track directly from there without having to navigate in the bottom pane.

You can disable the bottom pane from automatically expanding, by unchecking the "Always show files" Box in the customize view dialog. However, if the upper pane has thumbnails in the 1st row only, the file list will show in the bottom regardless.  If there are enough thumbnails a 2nd row (or more) is required to display them, then unchecking that box stops the bottom pane from popping up.  I personally would prefer the bottom pane not expand automatically regardless of the number of thumbnails, but that is just the way it works for some reason.

Hope that helps.

Buldarged

• Recent member
Re: Skip bottom file pane in categories view
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 09:26:33 pm »

That's not too bad. I always used to double click and never actually used this menu. Interestingly it is also a bit different in a categories view since it does not show a tag action. But that is not a problem, since I'm used to the tag button in action window in the top left corner.
But luckily the play action is part of the hover menu and works flawlessly. Thank you for your help :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up