INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Date imported oddities  (Read 812 times)

paulrr01

• Recent member
Date imported oddities
« on: December 11, 2023, 09:56:19 am »

I'm on windows 10, MC 31.0.84, media (all Flac) on Synology NAS.
I've just noticed several albums in my 'recently imported' list which are old imports.....second time this has happened and it's a bit frustrating as I use the 'recent' view to choose what to listen to a lot. One of the albums has only half the tracks with a new 'date imported'.
Questions;
1, what's happening? Why etc?
2, how can I export to a text file the 'date imported' data?
3, how can I correct the 'date imported' of those albums I identify as wrong from question 2, above

Many thanks
Paul

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
Re: Date imported oddities
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 11:41:39 am »

Hello paulrr01,
I feel your frustration - it happens to me too - and like you I use "recently imported" a lot.
Grrhh,
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 12:14:58 pm »

I've seen similar issues crop up over the years.  The most likely root cause is that the auto import is running when the NAS is temporarily not available (whether due to the NAS sleeping, needing to spin up drives, or just some networking quirks).  So some number of files are appearing to be "no longer there."  Autoimport, when fix broken links is set to "yes," will remove any "missing" files from the database.  But on the next import, because the files were only ever temporarily unavailable, autoimport reimports them, which sets a new date imported. 

To rule this out, check your autoimport settings.  If you have "Fix broken links" set to yes, change the setting to "no," and see if the problem goes away.  Of note, the "protect files on missing drives" setting for fix broken links in my experience mostly works well, but is not perfect.  Set the setting to "No" for testing purposes and see if your issue goes away.  If it does go away, you can either try the protect missing drives option, leave fix broken links set to no and handle any issues with broken links by hand, or you can work on improving your NAS availability, etc.

As for how to fix the issue for files already affected, you can try rolling back to an older library database backup (JRiver makes them automatically), but apart from that, I'm afraid you'll need to manually change the dates back.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 02:34:36 pm »

In addition to setting "fix broken links" to NO, I also recommend disabling auto import.  These two settings together. put you in control of the import process.  There will be no imports unless you start them yourself.  No removal of files or old things unless YOU do it yourself.

You might want to add the "run auto import now" button to the top ToolBar by using Customize Toolbar:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Toolbars

Any time I get new files that I want MC to see, I press the button and watch it run.  I can then review what happened and make sure it matches what I expect.  If you want full control, these are the settings you want.

Brian.

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 11:45:59 pm »

@ mwillems,
wonderful information.
Many Thanks,
👍🏼

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 12:37:01 am »

Another perspective on this very old problem:

The most robust method I know of, which I trust 100% to always preserve the date imported, is to create a Custom Field.  I call it [Date Acquired], with "Save in file tags (when possible)" checked in its definition.  You must manually fill it in when ripping CDs or otherwise importing albums for the first time.  The benefit is that such a field should never be unintentionally changed by MC or the operating system.  When the field can be written into the file header, it is thereafter automatically preserved even if the file is copied,  moved, imported, updated, or renamed.

You can very easily mass initialize such a field from your existing library data, but it will result in rewriting all modifiable files (which I personally view as well worth the effort for the peace of mind provided).

To have MC conveniently sort on this date, since my custom field is a string, I define a "companion" calculated field named [Date Acquired (raw sortable)] using the expression ConvertDate([Date Acquired]).  I use this field strictly for sorting, never need to manage it, and don't write it into the file header.

paulrr01

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 03:08:20 pm »

Thank you all for the input and suggestions.
One of my original questions was how can I export the database to a text file?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 07:05:08 pm »

You can export to Excel: just open a Details view with the columns you want, CTRL+A to select all files, CTRL+C to copy. Then go to excel and paste it.
You can also paste in notepad but formatting will be off as the separator is a Tab character.

To correct the values you can just edit the date directly in MC (only for MC30+, I think - the field is read-only in older versions).

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 05:08:04 am »

"To correct the values you can just edit the date directly in MC"

YES!!
👍🏼

paulrr01

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 03:04:27 pm »

You can export to Excel: just open a Details view with the columns you want, CTRL+A to select all files, CTRL+C to copy. Then go to excel and paste it.
Thank you, I wanted to know if the database could be exported. (PS it's a database, so of course it can, just want to know how)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2023, 03:48:15 pm »

There's also File->Export Playlist, which can export to CSV.

Orac

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 01:45:38 pm »

Another perspective on this very old problem:

The most robust method I know of, which I trust 100% to always preserve the date imported, is to create a Custom Field.  I call it [Date Acquired], with "Save in file tags (when possible)" checked in its definition.  You must manually fill it in when ripping CDs or otherwise importing albums for the first time.  The benefit is that such a field should never be unintentionally changed by MC or the operating system.  When the field can be written into the file header, it is thereafter automatically preserved even if the file is copied,  moved, imported, updated, or renamed.

You can very easily mass initialize such a field from your existing library data, but it will result in rewriting all modifiable files (which I personally view as well worth the effort for the peace of mind provided).

To have MC conveniently sort on this date, since my custom field is a string, I define a "companion" calculated field named [Date Acquired (raw sortable)] using the expression ConvertDate([Date Acquired]).  I use this field strictly for sorting, never need to manage it, and don't write it into the file header.

I think this is what I'm trying to achieve with a question I posted recently. I have a custom tag called RIPDATE which is the date I ripped my LP or CD and it is stored in the file header.
I've tried creating another field like you suggest, but I have no idea where to place the expression. If you have the time, would you mind giving an old codger like me a step-by-step guide how to do it?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 06:03:18 pm »

I think this is what I'm trying to achieve with a question I posted recently. I have a custom tag called RIPDATE which is the date I ripped my LP or CD and it is stored in the file header.
I've tried creating another field like you suggest, but I have no idea where to place the expression. If you have the time, would you mind giving an old codger like me a step-by-step guide how to do it?
In Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields... > Add New Field, I create two custom fields:
[Date Acquired]
User Data:
Data Type:  String
Relational:  Store one value for each album
Edit Type:  Standard
  • Save in file tags (when possible)
[Date Acquired (raw sortable)]
Edit Type:  Standard
Data: Calculated Data
Expression:  ConvertDate([Date Acquired])

There is a small drop down menu icon in the upper left corner of the Tree >Tags pane which allows you to customize displayed tags.  I add these two to my custom audio tags list there.

Screen shots are attached.

You can of course change names to RIPDATE or whatever you prefer and improve upon my plural forms.

In practice, I only ever interact with [Date Acquired], a simple text field which can be updated in MC's tree as well as in Mp3tag.

My primary use is to create a Categories tab titled "Recently Added" of Type Expression with Expression to Group By:  [Date Acquired (raw sortable)][Album] .  It is custom sorted by [Date Acquired (raw sortable)](z-a) to display the most recently added first.

If all your data is already in RIPDATE (or whatever) in string format, initialization should happen automatically.  If you have dates in some other library field with which you want to initialize RIPDATE (or whatever) that is easily accomplished en masse.  Select appropriate albums and then set the new field in the tag pane to value "=[other tag]" (no quotes).  Be sure the initializer is a string, or else add a MC function call to convert it to a formatted date string. 

I've been using this scheme for a few years with no problems, after numerous frustrating experiences with built-in MC tags that are sensitive to OS dates.  The idea came from old posts of other users.

Orac

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2024, 02:13:14 am »

markf2748

Many thanks for your explanation, much appreciated.

Edit:
markf2748 I followed your instructions and it works exactly as I want, thank you so much. I am one happy bunny.
On a side note, the reason I missed where to put the expression for the calculated field was that the dialog was too small and I didn't notice the scroll bars!! Doh!  :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up