INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add a way to control which image appears at the top of an Image Stack  (Read 807 times)

elprice7345

• World Citizen

Can you add a way for a user to control which image appears at the top of an image stack in v32?

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136477.0.html

I first requested this in v28

elprice7345

• World Citizen
Re: Add a way to control which image appears at the top of an Image Stack
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 03:35:17 pm »

Can this be addressed in v32?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 01:31:02 pm »

+1

Example (specifying the top image file):  I have an Image view for sidecar images which are stored within my audio album folders.  When I choose RMB on View tab menu > Thumbnails > Show Fanned Thumbnails the thumbnail display always includes the album cover, but often contains a "fan" of additional images for back cover, leaflet images, etc.  My sidecar image file names lead off with numbering 01_xyz, 02_abc, etc.  I would like to specify "01_*" should always be the top thumbnail image, so the album cover thumbnail always shows on top when cycling stops.  Mouse hover should still cycle through the thumbnail fan as it does now, but moving mouse off the thumbnail fan should revert to image "01_*" on top.

Flexible Interactive approach:  Mouse hover cycles through the Fanned Thumbnails, as now, until it reaches the image which you want on top.  Then a quick RMB temporarily stops cycling and brings up the menu, with new option "Keep this image on top":
  • If option is unselected, then checking it keeps current image on top whenever cycling stops
  • If option is already selected, then double clicking it switches to keep current image on top when cycling stops.
  • With option selected, image cycles while hovering.  When mouse moves away the selected top image always pops to the top again.
  • Option Deselected:  Images cycle until you move cursor off the thumbnail fan.  Then the visible image is retained on top (current behavior).

Improve on Current Interactive: Increase the delay between initial mouse hover and the start of Fanned Thumbnail image cycling (make it say 4 seconds).  That way it takes an intentional persistent hover to change the top image.  Once cycling is initiated, the time between image changes should be longer than the rapid-fire ~1 second used now (which I find very annoying), but not too long (try say 2 seconds, or make it a settable option).

I would guess that this request, in one form or another, has appeared many times in posts (and for sure in people's minds) over the years. Please give the user some control over how Fanned Thumbnails are displayed.

This issue should rise to the top as JRiver has recently made great strides in image tagging.   If people start using image albums more often, I would expect flexible display of Fanned Thumbnail images to increase in importance.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 10:45:33 pm »

Updated previous reply to clarify that my interest is in controlling how Fanned Thumbnails are displayed, not necessarily about MC's general stack facility.

I get fanned thumbnails in the Content Window only when the underlying images are either (a) not stacked (which is my present situation) or (b) stacked and "expanded". In both cases I cannot satisfactorily control the top image in the Fanned Thumbnails.

If the underlying images are stacked and "collapsed" then the Fanned Thumbnails collapse to the single image at the top of the stack, which is not what I want or expect to see since it's missing the "fan".

2/20/2024 Edit both replies for clarity.

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 11:51:18 pm »

Any progress on this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 08:59:21 am »

I'll change the coming build to store the top thumbnail as you fan through a stack.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 11:21:10 pm »

I saw a change come through that may have attempted to address my request, but didn't.

32.0.36 (4/10/2024)

1. NEW: The top image in a fanned stack of thumbnails is stored so if you stop on an image, it will be used (added a stack_tops.jmd file to the database).

I'm not sure if my problem is a lack of knowledge of MC or if a change need to be made in MC, but let me try to explain my request again.

I have a library view of a movie I've ripped with extras and the image on the left side of my screen looks like the attached file: "Library View 1". The image is as I desire with the main movie poster on top.

This same movie in Theater View looks like the screenshot "Theater View 1". In theater view the image is different and not what I would like to see.

Another movie ripped with extras looks like "Library View 2". Again, I would like the movie poster to display on top.

The same movie in Theater View displays correctly, "Theater View 2", with the movie poster on top.

Is there something I can do to fix this or does it require a change to MC?
Pages: [1]   Go Up