INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zev can u hear me.  (Read 1579 times)

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
Zev can u hear me.
« on: January 09, 2003, 12:55:25 pm »

Seems like ive been listening to digits for such a long time.

Anyway i decided to re-decorate my office which contains my PC server comms links etc. Also i had my turntable connected to ty PC in this room.

So i decided to re-connect my turntable back into my main Hi-Fi in the Lounge.

F&*k Me - I just remebered what HiFi actually sounds like. I was really getting used to Digits and DAC's and the like but when you actually listen to a bit of plastic with a diamond scratching it you realise just what its all about.

Dont get me wrong - i like my digits - its just that compared to Vinyl it Digits sounds crap/pants/Sh^&

Okay so here is the challenge MJ/MC - how do you compete with that.

Glen

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cool.
Re: Zev can u hear me.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 02:28:22 pm »

I can agree with those sentiments for the most part. Although I suspect that you are noticeing the difference between REAL music and that stuff called MP3. Now if you were to compare the REAL stuff with APE I think that you may not notice. Of course you may have a high end HI-FI and a thousand dollar turntable and you may not be using mp3's, but then again I could be totally in the dark here. But you have to admit that the bits are more convenient anyway you slice them.
Laughing all the way,
Glen.

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 03:42:29 pm »

Glen
You do not need a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$+ stereo system.
Just a fair one.
No need for a $$$$$$$$$$$$$+ turnable. Just a Lenco or Rotel or even JVC.
I mean with just a fair stereo system ,the HUGE difference is here.
I do not mean MP3 192 kps VRB . I do think that it is a really fair deal sound/quality.
Now ,of cause things are not all white or all grey.
Not long ago i bought all the new cds from Pretty Things,and yes the sound is MUCH good that my lps.
Because they worked on it.
But if you take ANY regular cd against the vinyl ,the cd is junk ,i mean big junk.
Even today where there is still new records on both formats like Sonic Youth ,Pearl Jam,Flaming Lips and many may others.
In all the cases ,the vinyl sounds better.
Of cause in many case a LP done without much care does not sound better than a reedition in cd from master tapes. Far from it.
If you play an original Hendrix LP and the new cd ,the cd is million times better.
But now let play the cd and the same edition in virgin 180 grammes vinyl.
You just do not know what to do with the cd after that.....
Not to say that digital does not have many advantage like number of the songs if play in a cd desk ,or tags if play in a computer.
But hamburgers are not 'haute cuisine'.
Digital is much more convenient BUT NOT BETTER

Mikeh
No need to tell me ...
But again digital is more convenient.
Like verbal sex. Of cause not as good that real one ,but SOOO convenient : you do not need to go to bathroom after....

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 04:01:00 pm »

Zev

Gotta agree with you on that.  Whenever I want to listen to 3 Dog Night I pull out the old LP's. They are VERY superior to the garbage cd's that MCA put out. One of the greatest American rock & roll bands of all times and cassettes sound better than that junk.  I have an MFSL LP of The Stone's "Sticky Fingers" and it is just so much better and warmer than the remastered CD. I miss those old MSFL versions of classic LP's. Virgin Vinyl...ahhhh, nothing like it.  ;D
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2003, 04:13:52 pm »

I have an MFSL LP of The Stone's "Sticky Fingers

Here you put the finger on s another thing :ANALOG

MFSL are from analog tapes.
I have the 180 grammes vinyl digital edition of Sticky Fingers.
The new cd sound the same.
The other problem with cds is that very very average bands [= 80% of the bands ] have to put double time music on one cd.
ALL the cds now are long as a double LP. And poor bands with one song and a half good have to put 70 minutes of music {?} on a cd.

And regular cds without any special care are just big  junk,you can hear the difference wit the LP even on a $76 stereo.
Now if you buy a Rhino cd ,it is better than the lp.
Like Litle Feat  Waiting to Colombus.
The Rhino cd is much much better than the original Lp.

I never saw 3 Dog Night as rock music....

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 04:24:13 pm »

3 Dog Night was a GREAT rock band. Forget the 45's and the old band that is now carrying the name. I saw them in 1969 (or was it 1970?) and they kicked ass. They were tearing the place up, they had a VERY heavy beat and could sound VERY funky and hard. Listen to the 1st 3 LP's, especially "Caught Live At The Forum", that is one of the great live LP's.
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson
Pages: [1]   Go Up