INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums won't continue to next disc  (Read 717 times)

khpro59

• Recent member
Albums won't continue to next disc
« on: January 03, 2024, 10:29:18 pm »

Hey fellow hi-fidelity enthusiasts, I had a question I could not find elsewhere or anywhere in the settings. All of my albums I have broken down by disc, I started doing it that way and now almost a TB later, I still do it that way. Anyway... When I am playing, lets say disc 1, when disc 1 finishes, it does not continue on to the next disc? Does anyone know how to rectify that? Soon as a disc is done it just completely stops. Ill throw an attachment up for visualization.

Thanks!

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: My albums wont continue onto next disc
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 02:00:07 am »

A direct method is to first select all discs in the set which you want to play, then Play (hit the Play button, or RMB > Play, or tap the Space Bar).  A look at Player should reveal all tracks from all discs cued up for playing, one after the other.

It's also a good idea to fill out the [Disc #] tag for all discs in a set, so you can sort on that if necessary.

Personally I also like to include (Disc 1), (Disc 2), etc. in the album title tag [album] to clearly distinguish them, though from your screenshot it appears you are omitting the normal album titles?

khpro59

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 09:10:57 am »

Ah! Good idea with highlighting them all! That did work.... is there another way though? I like to just shuffle albums and like them to just play onto the next disc.

Sorry, yes all my discs are sorted that way because they are tagged as such (Discs #1, #2, #3, etc) as shown in the screenshot.

Its a live dead album, that is the name (essentially).

Thanks for the reply!

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 02:09:32 pm »

You could put all tracks into a single folder under a common [Album] title.  It may (or may not) be necessary to then sequentially number the tracks.  First do a backup, then see what works.  Retaining the [disc #] tag would allow you to break them out later if you ever wanted to go back to storing or playing as individual discs.

Simpler:  Give each disk the exact same [Album] title within MC, and appropriate [disc #].  MC then treats all discs as a single album, even though they are stored in different folders.  I just confirmed it works for two discs with different folder names stored side-by-side under the same artist name folder.  Original track numbers per disc are preserved.  If you add a "Seq" column to your track list display, you'll get a 1-N numbering of all tracks.
See for example:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132155.msg916081.html#msg916081

Edits 1/8/2024; 1/10/2024.  Suggestions for organizing a "Simpler" scheme: 

(A) Drop all multi-disc album folders under a single folder with name of the album:
.../Music/Artist/Album/Album [Disk 1],  .../Music/Artist/Album/Album [Disk 2], etc.

(B) In the Customize View dialog box:  View As: Categories, add Category Type > Library Field > Disc # as the last category.

(C) Display the track lists grouped by discs:  Group By > More (sort groups a-z) > FolderName and Sort Inside Groups By > Default
Bonus:  the folder name appears at the top of each group of tracks.

Then you can easily play:
1) All tracks from all discs in the album collection (select top album folder & Play)
2) Single discs (double click the top album folder to see a list of included discs.  Single click a disc & Play, or double click the single disc header, or double click first track)
3) Custom disk and track selections (select, then Play)

A consequence of these approaches is that collections show only a single album cover at the top of a typical MC Content Panel (rather than multiple discs), which seems to be what you are asking for.

1/4/2024 Edit:  multiple revisions.

khpro59

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 09:38:59 am »

Thank you very much for your thorough response and help man, really appreciate it. I will give some of these a try. thanks!

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 02:51:31 pm »

I ran into the same problem this morning. Turns out that if I start playing by clicking on the 1st track of the 1st disk in the file display from the main view, then Playing Now only shows the first disk and it plays that disk and stops. However, if I start playback by hitting the Play button in the top display then Playing Now shows all the tracks from all the disks and plays all the disks.

Is that what you are running into?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 06:22:20 am »

If you have the albums grouped together so disc one and disc two show under the same album, double-click should play both.

If you have the albums named "Disc One" and "Disc Two" at the end, the albums will be separate and double-click will play only one album.  You can easily select all the albums and play if you wish.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 08:08:40 am »

If you have the albums grouped together so disc one and disc two show under the same album, double-click should play both.

If you have the albums named "Disc One" and "Disc Two" at the end, the albums will be separate and double-click will play only one album.  You can easily select all the albums and play if you wish.

I have the disk number at the end of each disc. So, as you said, if I click on the first track, only tracks in that disc play, even though the [Album] and [Album Artist (auto)] fields are the same for each track.  Since [Album] and [Album Artist (auto)] are the same for all tracks on all discs, it seems like they should act as one album, not as separate albums based on the individual folder names. Unfortunately, the common folder name requirement having to have all the tracks in the same folder is not obvious from these tags. However, this arrangement means you can play each individual disc if you want to.

If when I first display the full set, if I do not have any tracks highlighted, then hitting the Play button will play the whole set. So, if nothing is selected or if the whole set is selected seem to be equivalent and the whole set with play using the Play button. That is somewhat obscure, but using Play before selecting any tracks is a way to play the whole boxed set without having to select all the individual tracks.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 09:10:16 am »

... Unfortunately, the common folder name requirement is not obvious from these tags. However, this arrangement means you can play each individual disc if you want to.
Typo?  Maybe just a little misleading.  Windows does not allow a "common folder name" for the disc folders if for example the individual disc folders are located under a common artist name folder.  Distinct disc folders are always allowed.  Common path to the disc folders - yes.  Apparently the defining condition is whether [Album] and [Album Artist] are respectively the same or not for multiple disc folders, with the disc folders themselves located in a common folder.

Apologies for the nitpicking, but this can be confusing until understood.  Hope it helps.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 09:49:28 am »

Typo?  I don't think windows allows a "common folder name" if for example the disc folders are located under an artist name folder.  Distinct folders are always allowed.  The question is whether [Album] and [Album Artist] are respectively the same or not for both discs.
I have 12 separate discs, with each disc in a separate folder, all under one album folder name.  All of the tracks have a common [Album] and [Album Artist (auto)]. (See screen shot - Note all tracks are selected) Clicking on the first track on the first disc only plays that disc, not the following 11. To play all 12 discs, I need to either select all the tracks or hit the Play button before clicking on any tracks.

As I understand it, Matt is saying that in order to play all the tracks by clicking on the first track all the tracks (83) must be in the same folder (common folder). So, all 12 discs/83 tracks would have to be in the same folder, rather than in the 12 folders I have.

Sorry for the confusion.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Albums won't continue to next disc
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 11:51:37 am »

Basically double-click will play all the files in the current grouping.  If the list groups disc one and disc two separate then playback will follow suit.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Albums won't continue to next disc
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 12:27:51 pm »

Hitting Play plays everything, which is how to play the whole boxed set without highlighting anything.

Typically hitting Play and clicking on the 1st track do the same thing, but it is different with multiple disc sets. That is the distinction.

khpro59

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 08:50:59 am »

I ran into the same problem this morning. Turns out that if I start playing by clicking on the 1st track of the 1st disk in the file display from the main view, then Playing Now only shows the first disk and it plays that disk and stops. However, if I start playback by hitting the Play button in the top display then Playing Now shows all the tracks from all the disks and plays all the disks.

Is that what you are running into?

Essentially yes! Just trying to find out if it was a setting or not, but just adding the entire album (all discs) to playing now, seems to work just fine! Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up