INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (1 st) song of several albums not playing / no sound while running  (Read 900 times)

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen

Hi, today i noticed with several albums (flac) that the 1st song was silent and not giving any sound although it was "playing" ... never noticed that before in 10 years ...

one song shortly shows some 'bars' but nothing to hear. the next song on the album works fine

one other songs plays music for 3 seconds and becomes silent (while it keeps running)   --- when i immediately click on a later moment in the song it keeps running (i.e. giving music) even when i go back to the beginnning ..
very strange 

When i play those songs with windows media player no problem at all.. also played it with my bluesound system without any issues ...  so the flac seems ok to me .. any ideas ?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: (1 st) song of album not playing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 12:58:00 am »

The other players, which you say play the file without a problem, do not do not have access to many of MC's library fields and probably do not depend on the file header's Vorbis Comment Block (which MC writes).  So I am guessing there is some corruption in the MC library or MC part of the file header for the problem tracks, while the music part of the flac is apparently intact.

General WAG suggestions (since I have no idea what specifically might be wrong):
1) Close and restart MC and the MC Server (if it is running).
2) Are there any uninstalled operating system updates sitting in the wings?  If so, update.
3) Highlight bad album and then Library Tools > Update Library (from tags), to see if the MC file header info will fix the library.
4) Restore from MC backup.
5) Delete problematic album from library and disk.  Then re-rip or re-download the source album if possible.

BTW, where are your music files stored?  Is there a NAS or other network appliance in the loop that could be involved in establishing MC communications?  Is it a MC server / client setup?  Does DLNA play a role?

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
Re: (1 st) song of several albums not playing / no sound while running
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 01:15:42 am »

Hi Mark, thanks, my music is stored in a shared folder on my Synology.   MC, Bluesound and Windows media player all play the exact same file from the exact same location.

1) already restarted few times
2) no os updates outstanding - pretty up to date
3) did that - no results   (as a test also updated a field in the library and written to disk and re-imported - no results)
4) i deleted the file from the library and re-imported it - no results
5) i do not have the source CDs anymore

So - there must be something in the file that MC does not like (and bluesound / Windows Media Player do not care about) --- the strange thing is that with one specific song : it starts playing and stops after 3 seconds and becomes silent - but when i immediately after starting the song click on a later moment in the song it plays that part (and even earlyer parts all the way back to beginning) ... so maybe something in the music rip itself (strange char ? - something else ?)

1) is it an idea to email one specific file to you ?
2) is there some tooling to analyze MC specific parts of the file ?

thx koen

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 01:32:40 am »

When re-importing the album, did you follow up with Library Tools > Update Library (from tags) ?  It can be tricky to completely delete the old library entry, and I sometimes find it necessary to do the follow up.

You can also try deleting virtually all tag information from within MC,  followed by Library Tools > Update Tags (from library), then newly fill in just the very basic header info and see if it plays.

Consider creating a new local test library directly on your MC server machine to get the NAS and network out of the loop.  Import a few albums to the test library and try playing.

Otherwise, I suggest starting a new MC log file, immediately play those tracks, then stop recording the log.

Have a look at the log file with a text editor like NotePad++ and see if anything pops out.  If not, consider posting parts of the file here or send it to JRiver with a reference to this post.  You might want to send them the flac as well.

(sorry I changed the WAG numbering on you)

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 02:11:13 am »

When re-importing the album, did you follow up with Library Tools > Update Library (from tags) ?  It can be tricky to completely delete the old library entry, and I sometimes find it necessary to do the follow up.
---> yes i did , actually did that already before --> no success

You can also try deleting virtually all tag information from within MC,  followed by Library Tools > Update Tags (from library), then newly fill in just the very basic header info and see if it plays.
---> tried that , written to tags - deleted from lib, reimported - updated lib from tags --> no result

Consider creating a new local test library directly on your MC server machine to get the NAS and network out of the loop.  Import a few albums to the test library and try playing.
---> will try that

Otherwise, I suggest starting a new MC log file, immediately play those tracks, then stop recording the log.
---> did that - see log file ... the issue is with the 1st one playing in the log (Harder to breathe) ..     the next one plays fine etc

Have a look at the log file with a text editor like NotePad++ and see if anything pops out.  If not, consider posting parts of the file here or send it to JRiver with a reference to this post.  You might want to send them the flac as well.
---> see log file .. do you see any strange things ?

(sorry I changed the WAG numbering on you)

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 02:16:58 am »

I have copied the files to my c disk and imported from there as new album / played from there without result.

BTW - The library itself is already local on my laptop... only the files are on the nas

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 03:19:55 am »

0012380: 16160: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Start
0012383: 16160: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Volume protection: 0
0012383: 16160: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Playing: M:\Maroon 5\Songs About Jane - 2002\01 - Harder to Breathe.flac

Go to Options, search for "volume" and disable Volume Protection or change its max value. I can't set it below 20, but somehow you have it at zero.
There's also the "Startup volume" and "Volume mode" options to play with.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 04:14:26 am »

0012380: 16160: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Start
0012383: 16160: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Volume protection: 0
0012383: 16160: Playback: CJRPlaybackEngine::Play: Playing: M:\Maroon 5\Songs About Jane - 2002\01 - Harder to Breathe.flac

Go to Options, search for "volume" and disable Volume Protection or change its max value. I can't set it below 20, but somehow you have it at zero.
There's also the "Startup volume" and "Volume mode" options to play with.

hi, thanks, volume protection has not been selected in the options -- if i set it on or change some parameters it makes no difference ..
AND the second song in the log file plays well and also has the same volume protection setting
AND this specific song (harder to breathe) starts playing ok for 3 seconds and than stops ..    (while there are no problems in other media players)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 07:41:48 am »

You're right, that log line also shows up for me.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 07:47:44 am »

yeah, also tried other drivers (direct sound iso asio etc) but without result..  found 6 files now with strange behaviour .. always the 1st file of an album sofar.....

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 07:54:26 am »

Since it’s consistently repeatable would you like please email a single track that doesn’t work to Bob  (at) JRiver (dot) com or make it available on a file share somewhere so we can test it?

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 07:56:30 am »

hi bob, will do, will send you an email with a link thanks

DONE - see link in your email

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 08:40:04 am »

FOUND IT !!!

when i select "Volume Levelling" in DSP studio it works fine.

when i deselect it i experience this strange behaviour ...   (it was deselected)

Strange ?? Or works as designed ??

reg koen

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 08:58:12 am »

FOUND IT !!!

when i select "Volume Levelling" in DSP studio it works fine.

when i deselect it i experience this strange behaviour ...   (it was deselected)

Strange ?? Or works as designed ??

reg koen
Is it possible the tracks are just very quiet in that area? It's pretty confusing IMO.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 09:02:15 am »

hi, no not specifically... it just starts playing and after few seconds it drops dead with silence and runs till end of song

maybe you can reproduce with the maroon 5 file i send you... using 31.0.84

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 09:03:38 am »

hi, no not specifically... it just starts playing and after few seconds it drops dead with silence and runs till end of song

It doesn't happen for me even with volume leveling turned off.
I analyzed the waveform and it seems perfectly fine.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2024, 09:06:41 am »

ok ,  well, for me its fine again ... maybe combined with other settings .. i can immediately reproduce it over-and-over here when i select/deselect that setting

so - fine for me but still bit vague

thx

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2024, 09:14:41 am »

It doesn't happen for me even with volume leveling turned off.
I analyzed the waveform and it seems perfectly fine.

Bob, with that specific song it looks like it happens after the appr. 3 sec (more modest) intro when suddenly the drum kicks in very loudly ... That looks like the exact point when it drops dead ..

made a video which i can share if you want..

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2024, 10:45:53 am »

Bob, with that specific song it looks like it happens after the appr. 3 sec (more modest) intro when suddenly the drum kicks in very loudly ... That looks like the exact point when it drops dead ..

made a video which i can share if you want..
What's your playback device?

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2024, 10:48:41 am »

focusrite 6i6 --- Focusrite USB (ASIO)

but i already tried with the regular direct sound device in windows without success

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2024, 11:18:50 am »

focusrite 6i6 --- Focusrite USB (ASIO)

but i already tried with the regular direct sound device in windows without success
Just to an HDMI device or something? Weird. I wonder why it works for me.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2024, 11:29:22 am »

Good morning guys.  I see you've been busy :)

Why not update to 31.0.87?

Reverse order of tracks:  In a MC Player tab, add the column "Seq", which shows you a 1 to N ordering.  Click on the "Seq" header to get a N to 1 ordering (i.e. Track #1 is now last in the list).  What happens when you play the re-ordered playlist?

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2024, 11:55:06 am »

Good morning guys.  I see you've been busy :)
Why not update to 31.0.87?
--> because 'checking for updates' gave me 31.0.84

Reverse order of tracks:  In a MC Player tab, add the column "Seq", which shows you a 1to N ordering.  Click on the "Seq" header to get a N to 1 ordering (i.e. Track #1 is now last in the list).  What happens when you play the re-ordered playlist?
--> tried - no success - same issue

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2024, 11:55:43 am »

Just to an HDMI device or something? Weird. I wonder why it works for me.
just to the speakers of my laptop (same issue)

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2024, 12:03:41 pm »

re 31.0.84... So you must be on a 32-bit system?
I gather from the board that 31.0.87 should be available, even in the stable update channel, for 64-bit systems.  But may not be out for 32-bit.

By "same issue" in reverse-ordered playlist, I presume you mean Track #1 still does not play correctly, while the first track in the reverse-list plays fine.  If so, that really seems to nail it to a problem with a few specific tracks on your setup.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2024, 12:08:25 pm »

hi, since 31.0.84 was the lastest stable version

i am on 64-bit system

updated to latest version (not stable) 31.0.87 -- tried - same issue (as expected)

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2024, 12:12:47 pm »

i give up on this, it works again now although it remains strange.. maybe some combi of settings on my system.. plse let me know if i have to test something

thx for the support !

reg koen

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2024, 01:37:31 pm »

I'm curious about when you did the Windows Direct Sound test, were you still going through the Focusrite or directly (internally) to your laptop speakers?  Was the Focusrite still connected during that test? 

Pulling straws at this point, I'd be a little suspicious of (dynamic?) volume control on the Focusrite 6i6, though I have no experience with it, or the USB cable / connection, or pathway back to your laptop speakers.  Maybe when MC runs without volume leveling it outputs a higher dynamic range, faster transition signal than Windows Media Player, and the Focusrite somehow reacts to that.  Could be tested by playing around with volume levels / controls or a different DAC and external speakers.  Just more guesses, if you ever find the time or inclination to try it.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2024, 09:13:41 am »

I'm curious about when you did the Windows Direct Sound test, were you still going through the Focusrite or directly (internally) to your laptop speakers?  Was the Focusrite still connected during that test? 

Pulling straws at this point, I'd be a little suspicious of (dynamic?) volume control on the Focusrite 6i6, though I have no experience with it, or the USB cable / connection, or pathway back to your laptop speakers.  Maybe when MC runs without volume leveling it outputs a higher dynamic range, faster transition signal than Windows Media Player, and the Focusrite somehow reacts to that.  Could be tested by playing around with volume levels / controls or a different DAC and external speakers.  Just more guesses, if you ever find the time or inclination to try it.

Hi, the focusrite usb cable was disconnected. It did not make any difference.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2024, 11:10:58 am »

Make sure everything is unchecked in the DSP config.

I had a weird issue with my BT headphones and Default Device (Direct Sound) in MC: sound was looping the first .25 seconds of songs, not advancing (or rather advancing a few ms more on each repetition, weird). If the song started with a couple of seconds of silence, nothing was heard.

It was fixed after I increased the buffering to 0.50 seconds. Issue was not present on the laptop speakers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up