INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: import only 24 bit depth files to a new library  (Read 278 times)

jacktoz

• Recent member
import only 24 bit depth files to a new library
« on: January 11, 2024, 04:08:49 pm »

Greetings to the Mast, sorry, Citizen of the Universe,

I'm trying to build a library consisting of only my 24 bit depth audio files. I though I had it by adding a "file type: [Bit Depth]=24" as an optional tag when importing.  This didn't do it. I know there has to be a way, but I think I'm asking the wrong question on this forum.

Any help would be appreciated. jriver 31.0.87 on a win10 machine.

Jack Tozzi

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: import only 24 bit depth files to a new library
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 11:17:20 pm »

There may be a better way, but here's a first thought:

0. Back up your library.
1. Import everything into a new library.
2. In a Panes View, add the column "Bit Depth" (Panes is a good way to see what is going on).
3. Select for all files except 24-bit.
4. Delete all those selections from the library (but not from the disc!), leaving only your 24-bit files in the new library.

Going forward, you would have to manually maintain the library to only import new 24-bit files.  Not great.

You could of course copy or move all your 24-bit album folders to a single directory and just point your new library there.  Tools > Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy Files... might help with this.

In general, I think most people would advise against creating a new library.  Instead, the "MC way" is to create a filtered view of your existing library.  Use Panes, or enter [bit depth]=24 in Search Bar for any view.  You can also modify any view to show only 24-bit files:
Hover mouse over tab or RMB view in the tree, Customize View > ... > Settings > Included Files > Set rules for file display... > Add new rule > Bit Depth is 24.

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 03:45:44 pm »

There may be a better way, but here's a first thought:

0. Back up your library.
1. Import everything into a new library.
2. In a Panes View, add the column "Bit Depth" (Panes is a good way to see what is going on).
3. Select for all files except 24-bit.
4. Delete all those selections from the library (but not from the disc!), leaving only your 24-bit files in the new library.

Going forward, you would have to manually maintain the library to only import new 24-bit files.  Not great.

You could of course copy or move all your 24-bit album folders to a single directory and just point your new library there.  Tools > Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy Files... might help with this.

In general, I think most people would advise against creating a new library.  Instead, the "MC way" is to create a filtered view of your existing library.  Use Panes, or enter [bit depth]=24 in Search Bar for any view.  You can also modify any view to show only 24-bit files:
Hover mouse over tab or RMB view in the tree, Customize View > ... > Settings > Included Files > Set rules for file display... > Add new rule > Bit Depth is 24.

Pretty much my suggestions.
In theory you could essentially clone your current library, load the clone (remember to disable auto import, this will be important), delete the non 24bit tracks from the library without deleting them from the disk, leaving you with 2 libraries, a library with only 24 bit tracks and a library with everything.

This wont progressively import stuff into the 'cloned' 24Bit only library so that's a consideration.

Really, filtering your entire library to only show 24bit tracks is probably the right option (and one of JRiver's strength's ,it's filtering is much more comprehensive than alternatives) with the fewest downsides.

Whats the use case?

jacktoz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 08:42:23 pm »

Thanks to Mark and Eve.

Thanks so much for the help. I was almost there, I just tried to make it more complicated than it really was.

To Eve: I want a separate library for my hires and SACD files.  I had already set up an SACD folder when I started ripping my SACDS. I had already mixed about 10K hires files to my mail library.  I wanted an automatic to move those hires files to a separate directory.

Please pass a big thanks to the staff for offering an incredibly flexible, yet, relatively easy to use program for those of us with large libraries.  I've used jriver for at least 10 years with no regrets.  Thank you, especially, for catering to loony toon audionerds. I've retired from a career in high-end audio. You folks really get the lunacy, at least in public;-)

Looking forward to 32.

Best regards,
Jack

Pages: [1]   Go Up