INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disc Space  (Read 1458 times)

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
Disc Space
« on: January 01, 2024, 02:33:22 pm »

I ran out of disc space on C so I added additional space on D and got this error message:

Something went wrong with playback.  Details:  The file could not be found.  Check that the filename in the library matches the filename on disk.

What do I need to do here?  Thanks.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
Re: Disc Space
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 05:42:57 pm »

Did you move some files from the C drive to D?
If so how? Did you use the tools in Media Center or did you use Windows Explorer?
If the latter you need to use Rename Move Copy to let Media Center know where the files are.
See  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 11:44:27 am »

Yes, I moved the files from C to D.  I just copied and pasted.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 11:46:56 am »

Richard Martin's advice is good.

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 01:40:41 pm »

All of my Music files are now in D.  I still am unable to play them.  Thanks.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 02:10:46 pm »

Assuming you moved ALL files from C:\MUSIC to D:\MUSIC (adjust the instructions below accordingly!):

- Make a database backup (CTRL+SHIFT+B) - do not skip this!
- Go to Audio->Files on the tree
- select all files (CTRL+A) (or select just the ones you moved, if you now have a split collection)
- press F6 to open the rename/copy tool
- select "Update Database..." on the first box
- uncheck ALL checkboxes
- check "Find & Replace"
- find what: C:\MUSIC
- replace with: D:\MUSIC
- click OK
- test it. If the files still don't play, restore the backup (File->Library->Restore) and start over.

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 12:12:21 pm »

Thank you.  When I restore the backup what should go in "Please select the library backup to restore"  Mine says "C:\Users\17159\OneDrive\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 31\Library Backups\" and that does not look right.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 12:16:30 pm »

Search your machine for *.zip in Explorer.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 01:00:11 pm »

It does look right. Just click the "Browse" button right next to that and select the most recent backup from the list (or an older one if needed).

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 11:26:57 am »

I'm still getting the same error message.  The only difference is now my album covers have disappeared.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 11:34:12 am »

Check the current file paths in MC using the Tag Editor, or going to Audio->files and adding the [Filename] column. It's likely they're still not matching the actual location you copied the files to, so you need to restore the backup and use the tool again to properly point the database to the files. The tool shows you a Preview of what the new paths will be, check that before applying the change.

Just to be clear - after running the tool, do NOT restore the library backup unless things are still not working...

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 11:38:03 am »

As an alternative solution, you can just reimport the files from the new location (this method may lose some information like number of plays, import date, etc)

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2024, 12:37:54 pm »

Still nothing but now MC crashes when I attempt to start it up.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2024, 01:08:29 pm »

That's not good :/ Does it crash immediately on startup, or seconds/minutes later after opening?
Try rebooting your PC.

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2024, 01:11:02 pm »

It shows up for a second or two then crashes.  I rebooted and MC stays up but still get the same error message.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2024, 01:21:49 pm »

Good. Then you need to re-read the posts above and try again (restore a good backup, then try the steps again).
You have to be able to check the current [Filename] tag of your files to see what is happening, to check if it's pointing to the correct location. 

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2024, 12:29:34 pm »

Nope.  No go.  I'll have to figure something else out.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2024, 12:43:14 pm »

You can just re-import the files from the new location.

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2024, 11:51:08 am »

To where?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2024, 01:17:29 pm »

"Import" means telling MC to scan your new folder and add the files it finds there to the database ("library"). You can then delete all the entries in MC that currently do not play.

Tools->Import, then select "Import Single Folder" or better yet "Configure Auto Import".
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 01:20:28 pm »

"Import" means telling MC to scan your new folder and add the files it finds there to the database ("library"). You can then delete all the entries in MC that currently do not play.

Tools->Import, then select "Import Single Folder" or better yet "Configure Auto Import".
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

He needs to stop it crashing first and then just use Find ,& Replace as explained earlier

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2024, 01:37:50 pm »

That's what we explained above. It's not crashing anymore...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2024, 01:44:20 pm »

That's what I explained above. It's not crashing anymore...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know it's what you explained and I still think it is the right thing to do.  I missed the bit about it no longer crashing.
I think some screen shots from the OP may help us work out what is wrong.
The other thing I would add is use the built in tool on one or two files first, once those play OK then repeat it on more.

Gregory2001

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2024, 08:00:36 am »

Some progress.  It is working now except I have to play my albums individually or in other words I have to go to D to actually play them but I can't tell it to play them all - if that made any sense.  Now when an album has finished I have to go to D and play the next one.  I can live with that but just wanted to let you know.  Thanks guys.

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2024, 02:06:30 pm »

Sorry Gregory was having a problem, but I found the topic interesting and learned a few things, and confused on a few new ones.

I just recently added a new MC library to one of my PC's and imported files from a network share, the same share that is the source for a another PC that also runs MC.  Two observations:

1) Number of plays did not carry over (i.e. that data must be stored in the other PC's MC installed program and not stored in the music files like you can do with art).

2) Ratings were preserved, which I guess means these are stored in the source music files.

I would have thought these two pieces of data would have been stored in a similar fashion.  Am I correct in what I think I'm seeing?

Last question.  I regularly will clean up window folders or song names and make these changes in file explorer, and MC does a good job seeing the changed folder name usually representing album name.  So, can I or should I use the Rename/Move functionality in MC for this as I'll lose NOP's and perhaps other metadata?

thanks

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2024, 02:12:42 pm »

Sorry Gregory was having a problem, but I found the topic interesting and learned a few things, and confused on a few new ones.

I just recently added a new MC library to one of my PC's and imported files from a network share, the same share that is the source for a another PC that also runs MC.  Two observations:

1) Number of plays did not carry over (i.e. that data must be stored in the other PC's MC installed program and not stored in the music files like you can do with art).

2) Ratings were preserved, which I guess means these are stored in the source music files.

I would have thought these two pieces of data would have been stored in a similar fashion.  Am I correct in what I think I'm seeing?

Last question.  I regularly will clean up window folders or song names and make these changes in file explorer, and MC does a good job seeing the changed folder name usually representing album name.  So, can I or should I use the Rename/Move functionality in MC for this as I'll lose NOP's and perhaps other metadata?

thanks

Larry

1) I expect this is because number of plays is stored in the MC database (library) not the file tags
2) Presuambly ratings are stored in tags and you have MC to update file tags from MC tags

I would have thought it is safer to make your changes with Rename/Move/Copy rather than windows explorer.

You should also just having one MC library on a pc with MC running as a server and MC running as a client on the second PC, connecting to the server.

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2024, 02:28:35 pm »

Thanks so much.  I was missing the fact that there was two places for data:  Library and tags.

I am aware of using Library server as an alternative, but I cannot live with column widths reverting defaults (which for me are so narrow, info is not displayed).  While it only takes a few minutes to adjust, it is for every view, and needs to be repeated every time you start the app.  I'd "like" # of plays counted once regardless of which PC I'm using.  Are there other drawbacks not using a shared library?

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2024, 02:31:19 pm »

Thanks so much.  I was missing the fact that there was two places for data:  Library and tags.

I am aware of using Library server as an alternative, but I cannot live with column widths reverting defaults (which for me are so narrow, info is not displayed).  While it only takes a few minutes to adjust, it is for every view, and needs to be repeated every time you start the app.  I'd "like" # of plays counted once regardless of which PC I'm using.  Are there other drawbacks not using a shared library?

Larry

I can't say I have noticed a problem with column widths reverting to default on my client pc.
The draw back of not using a shared library is more admin to keep both libraries aligned.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2024, 02:37:40 pm »

What Richard said.

If you want to keep 2 separate databases, you can have them both write the "Number Plays" value to the file tags as it's not written out by default. Go to Tools->Options->Manage Library Field, find the NumberPlays field, and check the box "Save in file tags when possible". Do this on both PCs.

When you play a file on one PC it will update the tags in the file with the new Number of Plays. If AutoImport is enabled on the other PC, then it will see the file has changed and re-import it, thus updating the Number of Plays in the database. This may not happen immediately.

Note that this is awful for backups - it means the timestamp of the files will change each time you play them, so all played files will be included in the next backup.

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2024, 04:06:33 pm »

Hot Dang!   How'd I miss that, and I suppose I can set these values for other fields as well.

I've struggled with the column width thing on a shared Library for years, which could tell you there is an issue there, or just how dopey I can be.  I'll give it one more try for kipper :)
Larry

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2024, 05:33:57 pm »

Regarding the column width, you do have "Auto size columns" unchecked, correct? If that setting is checked, that would account for your column widths reverting.

I know there are issues with syncing column widths between server and client as previously noted by others (I don't personally have a client/server setup), but it's easy enough to toggle the above setting off to see if it fixes your issue.  Be sure to restart MC client and server after this setting change, as I have found many setting changes do not take effect until you do (even if there is no dialog telling you to "restart MC").

Hope that works for you.

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2024, 06:02:00 pm »

here are my setting in a JPG attachment.  I have been playing around but haven't come to any useful conclusion yet.  I'll poke around and report.  These the correct settings?

Larry

PS extra added JPG in case your having pasta for dinner (circa pandemic, NY'er Mag)
Larry

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2024, 06:10:02 pm »

If the autosize columns was already unchecked, then your issue likely lies with client/server syncing issues.

I don't use a client/server setup, so I don't have any useful insight there. I have seen a number of threads regarding column width issues on client/server setups over the years, so maybe if you diligently search you will find one that addresses your issue. 

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2024, 03:03:00 am »

Maybe check the auto size setting on the server.
There are some updates on the client that don't sync back to the unless you have authentication enabled and are logged on as an admin. I don't know if the is one of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up