INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expand columns?  (Read 317 times)

AlexS

• World Citizen
Expand columns?
« on: January 16, 2024, 03:29:26 pm »

Please see image attached.

Whatever I do I cannot expand the column that shows the song titles so they are not truncated (see track 23 for example).
Any ideas please?

Thanks..

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
Re: Expand columns?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 05:52:05 pm »

In your picture you show the Options window open.  I'm sure you've tried it with it closed, but just to be clear, you cannot resize, or really do much of anything (other than select options) while the options window is open.  For example, MC does not recognize pause or skip with the options window open.

So... assuming you have now closed the option window.... the MC GUI has "splitter bar" between the left-hand panel and the main content area.  Based on your picture, it looks like you are using Modern Cards Dark skin. For that skin, the splitter bar color blends-in with the background, so it is hard to see.  Just hover your mouse where the left-hand panel in the main content window meet... your cursor will change to a double arrowhead, which will allow you to drag the left-hand panel to as wide (or narrow) as you want.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 05:58:00 pm »

Looking at your picture closer, it looks like you are in the Overview display.  That view is specifically intended to show all the zones you have set up, and whether you have 1 zone or 10, the width of those cannot be changed.

Try using 1 of the other options underneath the Playing Now node, and you can then set up as few or as many columns as you want and size them to your hearts content.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 05:29:58 am »

OK thanks for that, very helpful.

Seems weird you can't change the columns in this section, anyway...

If it's intended to show zones, that's not clear at all (especially for those with just one zone), perhaps rename this section ("Zones")?
Also change the order to the branches perhaps? I would have thought "Playing Now" should be at the top.

Just some suggestions, I think some improvements can be made here, under Playing Now -> Player it would be also nice to see a large album cover and perhaps a better tag display for the current playing track, there is plenty of room currently taken up by the "Play Doctor" that could be used.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 08:39:56 am »

See the 1st attached picture where I show the Overview for my 6 zones.  The 2nd picture shows what it looks like when I select my Home zone under Playing Now.

By definition, all branches under the top node Playing Now are "zones".  Having MC default to naming them Zone1, Zone2... etc, would not be very helpful.  Instead, when you create a new zone, users can name them to whatever is useful to identify what they represent.  It is been so long since I only had a single zone, I forget what MC defaults to for the initial (single) zone name.

These zones represent where/what MC will play as defined by the user.  They can be different locations within your home, or they can be driven by parameters the user defines to route through different components in the audio chain.  For example, I have a separate zone for my headphones, as I want to use different DSP parameters for it, versus my regular speakers. Once you get the hang of how to create/setup/use MC zones you will understand how this feature sets MC apart from all other media players.

My personal primary purpose of my zones, is any time I start something to play, that it doesn't wipe out my current playing queue.  For example, if I launch an internet radio station (e.g. Spotify), it is automatically diverted to my Internet zone, thus keeping my Home and Headphones zones playlists intact.  This automatic diversion requires using Zone Switch, which I am not going to lie, does take some effort to figure out and get right.  But the payoff is huge.  Here are some links for that.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76605.0

Final comment about the Playing Now Overview:  it is just that, an overview, and the amount of information displayed is necessarily limited. It allows you to see every zone simultaneously, quickly compare their status, and choose to begin, pause, or stop play from one location without having to switch to other tree branches to activate each zone. Selecting the zone's title bar within the overview page makes it "active" and instantly shows its corresponding info (song title, track progress, etc) in the player header bar at the very top.  You can even have all the zones playing simultaneously if you choose to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up