INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improving Album Artist (auto) feature  (Read 1241 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Improving Album Artist (auto) feature
« on: February 12, 2003, 08:16:34 pm »

I can see that you have been putting a lot of thought into the album artist tag system and you are the only player I know that works well in this (I have a lot of DJ mixes)...

I think you have made the logic that checks a single album name against multipe artists and assigns it as such.. Great !!!

But surely the end reult of this logic would be to use it neatly.. By simply putting each album into a multiple artists section you have not really improved apon me adding a various artists name to all my tags...

What I see as being the 'perfect' solution (I realise many may disagree but I am trying to imagine who and why and not done so yet) would be to have the auto (or another auto) that

IF Album is regular THEN display artists
IF Album is Multiple THEN display Album artist
IF Album is Multiple and no album artist is assingned display it under unassigned
ELSE ??

This would allow a consistant artist / album structure that looks right and also show the same structure but with DJ Anybody / His Mix which is what you are shooting for... This also works for remix artists like Thievery Corp or K&D and you would have Album Artist being the remixer which is the way it should be...

This still puts a display of unassigned albums together and allows the user to choose between assigning them as a "album name - Mixer" under album artist (and preserver the real artists tags) or simply leave them under multiple artists...

A simpler way that just occured to me would be to go at this the other way and allow ALL albums with only one artist to automatically have the artist name as album artist then I could just list by Album Artist / Album.

It strikes me that you have got all the logic processing in place now but the final step of the integration is what is missing...

What do you think ?
Am I missing a way to do this now ?
Would my suggestion cause anyones alternative system to break or not please someone somehow ?      

I have about 150 - 200 mixed albums of DJ or remixer variety... I have screwed many of my tags before album artist was an option by simply clearing all artists tag for tracks and overwiting by the DJ name... Then I went to album artist but still dont have a true indication of Artist / Album, if the artists is defined by the performer.

Listening to: 'Risingson' from 'Mezzanine' by 'Massive Attack' on Media Center 9.0
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: Improving Album Artist (auto) feature
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 09:55:24 pm »

Hi Phat,

I quite like your proposal. That would allow 'tribute' albums by various artists to be displayed under the 'tributed' artist name by simply filling the 'album artist' field, nice!

I also thought of using the new 'copy field' tool to copy the 'artist' field to the 'album artist' field for single artist albums and then setup a view scheme like Album Artist/album.
But of course for this solution to work the 'album artist' field must be filled for every track in the lib, that's a lot of redundant tags. Your proposal is better in that respect.

have a nice day,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 10:20:24 pm »

If you can tell me how to do a conditional copy that would send artist field to album artsist ONLY if the album artist is blank thats my problem solved and a massive issue fixed with mix albums... Of course I dont want to screw up the ones I have already done with album artists and overwrite them...

Is it possible but me too dumb  :P ??
HTPC Front ends  

Cmagic

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 10:29:28 pm »

Well, no, the 'copy fields' tool is not that smart.
But maybe you can setup a smartlist with a rule such as 'Album artist=<empty>' (not sure of the syntax) and then use the 'copy field' tool to copy 'single artist album' artists to album artists for the tracks in the playlist.
U see what I mean ?

C.

Bob Marley (War)

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 10:47:07 pm »

Hmmm you are on to something with that... The smartlist does list them all and a group file copy may just work...

How do I perform group tag copy like that... I tried in properties (of only files with no album artist) selecting the 'varies' and copy / paste to put it into album artists but this was no joy... where is this copy field tool and is it in 90.105 which is what I am running currently ?
HTPC Front ends  

Cmagic

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 10:51:15 pm »

I see, you better upgrade MC9 to 0.110 or later in since the 'copy fields' tools was introduced with 110.
You access it in the "tools" menu. You can then copy data from one field (column) to any other, you can also swap values !

C.
Bob Marley (War)
Pages: [1]   Go Up