INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problems with playback using convolution and ubacch filters  (Read 452 times)

Knightly1

• Recent member
problems with playback using convolution and ubacch filters
« on: January 25, 2024, 11:36:20 am »

I recently switched from Roon to MC31 so that I could use both custom, convolution filters designed by Mitch Barnett of Accurate Sound and the Ubacch filter.  When playback succeeds, the sound is glorious, but unfortunately, I have encountered a number of problems that I haven't been able to resolve.  This isn't surprising since I'm not particularly computer savvy.

The biggest problem is that when I start playback, even of a cd quality file, it takes anywhere for 30-90 seconds for music to actually play and those first 30-90 seconds of the track are dropped.  I've tried adjusting the output buffer and input buffer but the problem persists.  Higher resolution files take even longer to start (2 minutes) and drop even more of the track.

A secondary problem are the occasional pops and scratches reminiscent of lp surface noise during playback, along with some occasional stuttering.  These occur every 20-60 seconds or so.

Here is my setup:

I'm using my multi-purpose home computer, a Dell XPS 8950 (12thGen Intel (R) Core i7-12700 processor with 16 GB memory), not a dedicated audio computer (I close all other apps and restart the computer before opening MC31).  This is connected via ethernet to a Bricasti M3 dac with a built in ethernet card capable of acting as a renderer.  This shows up in Jriver31 as 2 separate zones, one for the dac (Bricasti M3) and another as the DLNA renderer (M3).  In order to run music files through the MC DSP Studio, I linked these 2 zones (I don't know if this is the correct solution but it has worked except for the missing material at the beginning of each track).

I would appreciate advice on how to resolve these problems. What settings should I try to alter? Might something like Fidelizer help?

Or is investing in a separate, dedicated Windows computer my only hope?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: problems with playback using convolution and ubacch filters
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 11:56:48 am »

"In order to run music files through the MC DSP Studio, I linked these 2 zones (I don't know if this is the correct solution but it has worked except for the missing material at the beginning of each track)."

There is no reason to do this.  Just use one, preferably the one for the dac (Bricasti M3).
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Knightly1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 12:42:54 pm »

Thanks for your response, but when I unlink them and send to the dac (Bricasti M3), it doesn't play (the display on the dac says Idle) and if I send the file to the M3, the file plays but not through the DSP studio.  It is only when I link them that it plays and plays through the DSP studio

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 01:21:05 pm »

Thanks for your response, but when I unlink them and send to the dac (Bricasti M3), it doesn't play (the display on the dac says Idle)......
Have you installed the ASIO driver for the M3?
......and if I send the file to the M3, the file plays but not through the DSP studio.  It is only when I link them that it plays and plays through the DSP studio
Do you know that there is a separate setting for DSP when routing via DLNA?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

Knightly1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 01:48:18 pm »

Thanks Kal;
Yes, I have entered DSP settings for the DLNA. I also installed ASIO4All because the Ubacch people said their filter works better with it in conjunction with MC

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 03:11:15 pm »

Thanks Kal;
Yes, I have entered DSP settings for the DLNA. I also installed ASIO4All because the Ubacch people said their filter works better with it in conjunction with MC

I suggest you try the dedicated ASIO driver.  I've not had problems with Ubacch using any number of such proprietary ASIO drivers.
My main point stands.  There is no logic in using both outputs to the Bricasti which, fundamentally, can only play from one at a time.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

Knightly1

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 05:50:23 pm »

Kal,
I will check with Bricasti to see if a ASIO driver is available and/or required for the M3 but I doubt this is the case since there is no mention of this on their website or manual.  I have no such issues using the M3 with either Roon or Audirvana, but Roon won't accept the Ubacch filter and Audirvana won't accept the convolution filters, hence my interest in MC.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 06:31:48 pm »

From page 8 of the M3 manual " No driver is needed for Macs or Linux but for PC use a driver is necessary and the latest version for Windows can be acquired from our website in downloads section."

https://www.bricasti.com/en/consumer/downloads.php

Give that a try.

Knightly1

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 06:11:01 am »

Thanks for your help. The driver is described as for USB use not ethernet.  I will check with Bricasti to see if it is also appropriate for ethernet.

Knightly1

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 12:03:29 pm »

Joe at Bricasti has confirmed that, "All the buffer settings are for USB not networking. ASIO is only used for USB, yes we support that with USB but this is nothing to do with networking," so the absence of a driver is not the issue.

Is there some way to get around the necessity of linking 2 separate zones in order to use MC Dsp?

Any other suggestions on how to prevent the long delays before music plays and the corresponding lost content?

Knightly1

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 10:17:03 am »

After further experimentation with various buffer and latency settings, I managed to eliminate the delays in playback, plus the clicks and static, so these problems are solved.

The only issue that remains--although I don't know if it is an issue or just a quirk--is that PCM playback requires that I link the 2 different zones (the Dac, "Bricasti M3" and the renderer, "M3").  I can't figure out a way, and no one has suggested a way to get MC31 to treat them as the same device.  Whether or not this linking creates timing issues in playback or degrades the sound in some way, I don't know, but this is the only way to get playback through the DSP studio.

With dsd files, I can unlink them and just use the M3 zone since the convolution files and Ubacch filters don't work with DSD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up