INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: guidance on tag searching/filtering  (Read 479 times)

krspahr

• Recent member
guidance on tag searching/filtering
« on: January 23, 2024, 09:47:48 pm »

I've only used the search wizard, but have looked at the search/query syntax. I'd like to find/filter songs that have a Name (tag) different from the disk filename. In the past I've used the 'fill properties from filename' library tool, but I don't want to modify ~12000 song files needlessly. Any help is appreciated!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: guidance on tag searching/filtering
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 10:47:14 pm »

Assuming [Name] does not contain the file extension, copy the code below and paste it into the search bar in top right...
Code: [Select]
[=isequal([Name],filename(,0),1)]=0

krspahr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 10:05:40 pm »

Thanks @Marko for the reply. It didn't seem to work, so I dug into the syntax of the statement and it all makes sense to me. So with a complete, unfiltered view of all my music, executing the "[=isequal([Name],filename(,0),1)]=0" query (in the upper right search box) should filter out all songs where the 'Name' and 'Filename' match, leaving only the songs with differences - am I understanding the intent? Does it matter that I'm still on MC29? TIA

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 10:47:04 pm »

You are understanding correctly. It's also a case-insenstive comparison. MC29 should not be an issue.

In what way does it not work? I mean, apart from the obvious... Does it have no affect on the list at all, or, does it return an empty list, or remove some of the files?

krspahr

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 05:06:53 pm »

The list *seems* unaffected. I know I have several songs with these differences, so I expect a significant reduction of files in the view, looking at the bottom status bar (with nothing selected, shows total songs in the current view). Maybe i will make a small test library and deliberately tweak the file tags to manipulate this query test.

krspahr

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 05:33:47 pm »

Yes, just checked on a new, simple library of 5 songs. Made the filename different than the [Name] tag. I paste this query in the search box, hit return, and...nothing. Reading a bit more on the search language, it sounds like an 'iterator' (glorified For/While loop) mechanism walks through the displayed songs, evaluates the query and stores a temporary 'visibility' flag somewhere and uses that to determine whether a song is displayed. Maybe I've missed something somewhere (highly likely  ;)). I'll keep plugging and chugging...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 10:52:46 pm »

Assuming [Name] does not contain the file extension, copy the code below and paste it into the search bar in top right...
[=isequal([Name],filename(,0),1)]=0
It should work. Was this assumption correct?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 03:32:52 am »

Perhaps it's better if you attach a screenshot of a folder and of their corresponding track names in MC. Or a sample filename and the Name you expect in MC.
The expression above only works if your files are like "Gasoline.flac" for a track called "Gasoline". If the filename is "03. Gasoline.flac" or "Audioslave - Gasoline.flac" or "Gasoline (2002).flac" or any other pattern, then it won't work.

Perhaps you want this:
[=isequal(filename(,0),[Name],8)]=0(show files where the Filename does not contain the title)

krspahr

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 02:25:03 pm »

[solved] I added several 'Expression Columns' to my temp library and worked this out. My main comparison column (to visualize the actual comparison) used the expression "=[Name]=removeright([filename (name)],4)". Then, created another expression column using "IsEqual([Name], removeright([filename (name)],4), 1)" to tell me if the two tags are the same or not. I then sorted my library by this 'same' test and made my changes to song tags based on the 'same' indicator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up