Windows > JRiver Media Center 32 for Windows

NEW: Active Templates for Theater View

(1/37) > >>

cncb:
Description
The new file info templates in Theater View for Movies and TV Shows are capable of retrieving and displaying rich metadata on-the-fly.  We owe user lepa and others many thanks for their creative work that we've built on.

The new templates use Spotlight's aggregation capabilities to find and display the data. 

Instructions
Back up!  It's under File > Menu in MC.

Make sure you have done "Library Tools > Analyze Video" for all your movies so the necessary metadata exists for the new template.

Your current templates will be backed up before they are overwritten/upgraded with the new default templates.  To restore your templates, select Tools > Options > Theater View > Customize file info panel > Manage > Import All Templates.  Select the xml backup in {Library Directory}/Backup which should be the default directory opened in the dialog.  You can see the {Library Directory} when you hover over the library in the left-side tree.
Example:  C:\Users\jimh\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 32\Library\Backup

You may also want to back up on your own before upgrading.  If you don't want your templates to be overwritten, then after you restore, manually edit the version in your current templates file (with a text file editor) to be Version="100.0" or some high number.  The templates file path is "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 32\Library\theater view file info templates.xml" in Windows for a local library.  For a library server client, this has to be done on the server.  Note that if you do any editing of the templates in the MC dialog, it will revert to the current version when saved.

Build 44 and greater now allows you to select a custom templates file in Theater View Options.  You can select any file you place in {Library Directory}\Templates.  The pre-MC32 templates file (text-based) is placed there automatically for selection.  This means no more re-importing your backup when there are changes to the default (if you select a different file in Options).

jmone:
Firstly, looks good!  Like the icons showing the audio formats and layouts as well as the bit that says when it is going to end.

Just had a browse around my Video collection and found the following oddities:
- No differentiation in regard to video info like resolution etc, eg can't see any difference in my UHD-BD vs BD / SD vs HD vs UHD
- Not sure where the additional "Recommended" videos come from but many of them don't seem related.  Eg I looked at "12 Strong" and would expect to see other war movies, but it seemed to like other movies also with "12" in their titles and other weird ones.  None of these recommendations were in my library (if that was the goal).  Is it just done on similar "Names", eg Bond movies recommends other Bond movies exclusively.  Some titles did not get any recommendations (eg Alita: Battle Angel).  There is also plenty of empty room in the Grid View where you could put these recommendations (see pic 1).
- Sometimes the Cast or Recommended is not visible unless you got down to that section (well at least for the 1st time)
- When using the "roller" instead of "grid" and go into an item, the coverart zooms right in on one spot.  When going in the item for the first time it does a double flash and stays at the roller level after entering the detail level for only a second.
 Looks like it is a drawing issue with this type of view.  Also MC crashed once in this view (but I've not repeated the issue).
- Looks like the changes are only for "Movies" not "TV Shows" etc?

Thanks
Nathan

jmone:
The other thing that I thought would be good is the ability to select a "Recommended" (if it is in your library) and jump to that.

lepa:
for a small screen i have been using small poster to fill some space but not making it too crowdy.

lepa:

--- Quote ---- Not sure where the additional "Recommended" videos come from but many of them don't seem related.  Eg I looked at "12 Strong" and would expect to see other war movies, but it seemed to like other movies also with "12" in their titles and other weird ones. 
--- End quote ---
I think that "recommendation" field of tmdb is showing much more similar movies than actual "similar" field so I have been using recommendations to show similar  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version