INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Requests Needed for v9 :)  (Read 1302 times)

nila

Feature Requests Needed for v9 :)
« on: February 11, 2003, 02:43:48 pm »

Ok, here's some things that I really think are needed for v9.

• Currectly no way to switch between making a data or audio CD once you have started. This can be very annoying when I start making an audio cd, then decide to make it a data one instead and have to either write down the names of all the songs already added or make a playlist, start a data cd, load it up, then delete the playlist. - LONG winded for an EASY task.

Please give a button to allow us to bounce backwards and forwards when it's pure audio.

• The right click menu - these are great and full of lovely powerful tools and options. They however are just basically a big list of txt and therefore not easy to use QUICKLY without paying attention. The right click menu looks very outdated and old. Most other program's right click menu's these days include graphics to allow at a quick glance to see where each function is.

Please see the right click menu of AV2 for a PERFECT example of using graphics well in a right click menu. It really lets you use the menu without even having to read the text to see whats what - speeds things up considerably.

• Right Click menu's - right now the sticky last sent to item used is a great feature - this should however be changed to allow us to choose how many items are sticky just like the XP Start Menu and would ideally let us stick items to it.

• Once we start creating a playlist in the 'burn cd' screen, it'd be nice if:  'Burn Track' appeared as a top level item in the right click menu as we are obviously then planning to use this feature a lot so it would really speed up things (when making a data cd of 160 tracks this is 160 saved clicks per cd). It's also just a 'nice' refinement step which would really add a little touch of class and smartness to MJ :)

• Tools option to 'extract to .m3u playlist' desperately is lacking and needs to be added - all other software has this.

• Ability to save different column and sort order schemes still need to be added. These need to be able to be attached to View Schemes as it's currently very annoying the sort order which works great for most my library /artist/year/album/track #    which works awfully on my compilcation albums. I need to be able to assign views to each scheme.

• Ordering of items in the properties pane needs to be configurable as alphabetical makes little sense as the most commonly used fields should be nearer the top.

• Undo and Redo need SOME kind of indication of what they're going to undo or redo as they're very scary tools right now.

• Ability to create new 'Groups' for properties.

• Really feel that a GUI should be created for the mp3's to allow better configuration of the options to be used in a similar manner to Razorlame - Why? Because it would require no extra real programming as all it would be doing is creating a string as option boxes are checked etc to then pass to lame. It would however totally get rid of the need for Razorlame as a seperate program to still have installed.  The ability to load different mp3 profiles would also be of HUGE use as I would want a profile that I use for my portable mp3 player, profile for my home computer, etc.

• More options for ripping - Would like to see: Rip all tracks then encode all tracks, rip all tracks and encode each track after ripping while ripping next track, rip then encode each track, rip and encode simultaneously.

• Ability to save/delete naming formats (rename from properties, get from filename etc).

• Loop extended to have:  Play Continuous, Loop Track, Loop all tracks (obviously not a necessity)

• Right click option on playlists to export playlist - it seems a VERY natural place to have it.

• Option to save cover art in the same dir as the file

• Would be nice if library saving just asked for a name then dir and automatically created either a folder with that name to save all the files in or saved ALL the library files into a .zip type file with all the necessary files inside it so that loads of libraries could be easily saved into the same dir.

• Ability to use 'Create name from properties' when burning tracks to rename the files onto the cd they're being burnt onto. Also just need to be able to manually rename files on the cd's which is currently impossible from what I can see.

• Need an option in 'get properties from filename' to automatically clean the properties at the same time so it's a more complete tool.

• Find and Replace could REALLY do with an option to allow us to 'Trim X characters from Y position from the beginning/end'

• shortcut keys for 'Rip cd' 'convert' etc. basically give all functions shortcut keys

• rename from properties needs to have some option to allow us to specify either what text or what to do if one of the properties fields are empty.

• option to have .m3u created when an album is ripped in the naming format of my choice.

• Ability to set icon and 'File Description' other than 'Mediajukebox File' for all file types associated with MJ. Also ability to choose double click etc. action for each type of file as with all my songs I want them to play in MJ but for my .m2v files I want them to be loaded into PowerDVD as MJ just always freezes and crashes when playing them.

• Option to have a prompt after a CD is burnt asking if we want to clear the playlist or if we want to leave it there. Possibly also an option to automatically save the playlist into a playlist group called: 'burnt cd's'

• Send To/Playlist: - This NEEDS to be made recursive for all the playlists as it's currently such a pain to use for a lot of playlists

• Ability to move/delete multiple playlists at once

• Would love but dont know if it can be in v9 or would have to wait to v9.1 - the ability to assign playlists to view schemes exists - I'd like to be able to assign the special smart playlist 'Current Search Field' to view schemes so they reflect what I'm currectly searching - This one has HUGE powerful implications and would be incredible.

• Scan/Intro mode which plays X seconds of each song in the playlist - most real life players have this feature and it's a great way of just checking what a bunch of songs are easily and fast.

• lastplayed, imported etc need to be able to be done like this:   lastplayed=>6d (meaning 6 days)  or lastplayed=>6h (6 hours) as expecting everyone to pull out a calculator to do the hours to minutes, minutes to seconds calculations is a bit ridiculas. A calendar like the one used in AV would be a GREAT feature for imported with little circles around the dates where music was imported.

nila

Re: Feature Requests Needed for v9 :)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 02:45:58 pm »

Wahoo!! :)
Now THATS a long post :)
Hopefully all very useful and relivant things.

I'd just like to say though, just cause I have a lot of things I'd like to see in MJ, it doesn't mean I dont love it and think it's already amazing.

It's like your kids - you always think they're amazing and great and you love them, but theres always things u want them to do or learn or improove.

U just want them to be the best they can be :)

Alot of these things are really small though and I'd imagine that if you guys wanted you could add like half the requests in this list to MJ in one solid day's work.

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 03:04:40 pm »

LOL You're a hard taskmaster.  I have to say tho I agree with a lot of your ideas.  Most were things I hadn't even thought of til you typed them.  I especially agree with different views being allocated to view schemes...and would add sorting in the tree ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

MachineHead

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 03:35:18 pm »

...and would add sorting in the tree

You're persistant.  ;D

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 04:21:52 pm »

Would love but dont know if it can be in v9 or would have to wait to v9.1.....I'd like to be able to assign the special smart playlist 'Current Search [criteria]' to view schemes so they reflect what I'm currectly searching - This one has HUGE powerful implications and would be incredible.

Yes, Yes, Yes!!  This would be AWESOME! Please do not wait till 9.1.  Put this one in 9.0.  

Ability to set icon and 'File Description' other than 'Mediajukebox File' for all file types associated with MJ....

Please, Please!  The fact that both all formats have the same type name "Mediajukebox File" makes it impossible to sort by file type in Windows Explorer, which is such a huge problem, that I never allow MC to register the file types!  The only media player I know of that doesn't do this pathological thing is Windows Media Player (gag!)

Really feel that a GUI should be created for the mp3's to allow better configuration of the options to be used in a similar manner to Razorlame.....The ability to load different mp3 profiles would also be of HUGE use....

Ditto!  Been wanting this for awhile, actually. I don't know why I didn't speak up earlier.

Ability to create new 'Groups' for properties

What does this mean?

Thanks,
Soundman

nila

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2003, 11:23:35 pm »

Soundman - if you create new columns in the options panel (ie create a new field called: mood) you then choose which group this gets put into. The group is where it appears in the properties pane.
I think there are currectly 4 or 5 groups which all the fields are split between.
This is great for audio but doesn't allow for 'TRUE' seperation between different formats. Being able to create groups for: 'People in the photo' 'location of photo' and that type fo thing would truely allow it to become the king of db's :)

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 03:02:54 am »

Has JRiver announced what their goal is for a date for MC9 launch?  While many of the items here sound cool some of this list sounds like it would require substantial development and create instability maybe my sense of the launch date is closer than it really is?

This could also be the Product Manager in me talking.  :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

nila

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2003, 03:10:14 am »

The lack of basic features like the inclusion of any of the fields that handle dates in the search wizard would suggest that it's still a while away.
They have to add the date features then test them substantially.
If your hoping it's going to be in the next couple of weeks I dont see it happening.

Jim's also stated previously that they plan to add the ability to save column ordering etc so that's another major feature that's going to take some work and some testing.
It's a necessity however to make v9 not have any big areas in which it lacks which is important for when magazines etc do reviews.
The current lack of ability to save views while handling different types of media currently mean that using the standard view for images is painful and magazines, websites etc would pick up on this instantly and give MJ way worse marks than it deserves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up